Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Security contracting..

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

Security contracting..

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this as the section it pertains to says for course schedules and aars. I am currently in the process of trying to get employed with a company (one that is on here) for overseas security work. I am waiting to get cleared from dept. of state at this point. When and if that comes back good to go I will have their pt test and training to complete. I have all the info of what those consist of so I know partially what to prepare for but my question here is, does anyone on here work or have worked in security contracting that could give tips on setting myself up for success for training and the like? This is not something I want to fail at on my part. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Hi,

This is AR General Discussion which is for general topics relating to the AR platform. Although there doesn't seem to be much more of a proper place to post a question about this here on M4carbine.net --- if there is I'd like to see!

I personally have no experience, although I do know that it is a great idea to call your contracting firm to find out about how they go about the training processes. I have known contractors to take courses with reputable instructors outside of the firm as to put more tools in the toolbox and foster mentality.

Best of Luck. I hope you find less obvious tips soon.
    Muzzle punch optional.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I couldn't figure a better place to post it.

Thanks. I have all the papers for the training their recruiter gave me. Though helpful there isn't tips like someone who has done it before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did over seven years in Iraq doing security contracting. My advice is not worry about it. By the time you get out, things will be different.

But, go SF, Ranger, SEAL, etc is not a bad path. Pick your career path and stick to it. If you get tired of that, then go contracting. Keep your record clean so that you will qualify for the State Department gigs.

An average grunt with tons of down range experience is worth more than a tier one newb.

The past ten years was probably the golden era of contracting... lots of gold and lots of contracting. We may never see it again at those levels.

Maritime is the big thing now, for now...
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Did over seven years in Iraq doing security contracting. My advice is not worry about it. By the time you get out, things will be different.

But, go SF, Ranger, SEAL, etc is not a bad path. Pick your career path and stick to it. If you get tired of that, then go contracting. Keep your record clean so that you will qualify for the State Department gigs.

An average grunt with tons of down range experience is worth more than a tier one newb.

The past ten years was probably the golden era of contracting... lots of gold and lots of contracting. We may never see it again at those levels.

Maritime is the big thing now, for now...
    I just got out of the Army (11B). Served 4 years active with 2 deployments. I met the requirements for a PSS position. Just waiting on approval from dept of state. Been going through the process since march. On top of pt'ing 6 days a week for this job I am looking for any help I can get. I really want to get in this line of work. This regular job 9-5 isn't me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Endur,

PT is not a big deal so don't get too crazy. You got a copy of the PT requirements, including the stretch test and bench press? Your recruiter from the company should be able to give you it.

Make sure you are very good with the Glock.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    Endur,

PT is not a big deal so don't get too crazy. You got a copy of the PT requirements, including the stretch test and bench press? Your recruiter from the company should be able to give you it.

Make sure you are very good with the Glock.
    Yep got that, the only part with any difficulty would be the body percent max test but I wont have a problem with that. I plan on putting quite a few rounds through my glock beforehand as the rest of the weapon systems they test on are a breeze for me. This friday making a range trip with about 300 rounds which isn't much. I would get more but rounds are not cheap these days. Thanks for the tips, they are very appreciated.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I agree with IraqNinja. If you can pass the PT test (which isn't terribly difficult then you are good. The weapons qualification is fairly easy as well. However, there have been issues where guys failed the M249/240 course. Part of the reason is lack of experience with the weapons and because the DOS course is ****ing silly. As are most of their weapons related stuff.

The number one issue will be getting your SF86 complete and a clearance. DoS is less forgiving of certain things- like financial than anyone else and they are very demanding when it comes to documentation.

The other issue as of late (at least for Iraq) has been for the companies to secure visas for their people. It recently slowed to a trickle and many companies were unable to rotate their people on R/R.

If you get hired and make it over then I will say this. Treat every paycheck as the last one as you never know what will happen.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    DoS is less forgiving of certain things- like financial than anyone else and they are very demanding when it comes to documentation.
    I found this out when Just trying to Drive a Big truck for KBR was told all was GTG and then Because I owed a Little on back taxes, I was a Contractor before driving .

and Just that little Snafu Cost me the Job Make sure all your Financial records are in order. I didn't Know about Mine because of a Divorce and the Ex wife filing single Head of household .Once i work that out I could not get them to even return My calls

Good luck to you I hope it works Out well for you
    Last edited by warpigM-4; 05-31-12 at 12:20.

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    YeahI have been reading a lot about contractors in Iraq getting screwed over with r&r, the Iraq government not reckognizing their companies papers and what not. Messed up stuff. I will be working in Afghanistan if I get the job. Is anything like that happening there?

As far as financial I should be good. I have done my taxes every year since I could. Not deficient on any bills and have never been collected on. I have a active secret clearance from the Army. Good credit and no criminal record. Now it is up to whether or not I am good to go enough for them.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast