Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is a laser helpful?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Also, what I touched on in my first post is that a laser seems to make me "oversight" the weapon, trying to line up the laser on "the perfect" spot on the target for that "perfect" shot. You're exactly right about laser and irons having the same wobble zone, but (without getting too Pincus on you) the brain will see the laser as a precise point that needs to be aligned with a precise spot before you feel ok with breaking the shot.

I'm sure training can help, but I think lasers just slow me down. Since I have great eyesight, grip strength, ect, it's really not necessary FOR ME. Someone who can't get a good sight picture due to a physical ailment may actually "need" the laser.
    My experience is the opposite. Even with way way more rounds downrange with irons, shooting irons at tight targets I'm still losing a touch of time evaluating whether the site alignment is good enough...and is my bullet going to land within my acceptable target area. With laser...I know right now, there's no guesswork. It makes "see what you need to see" for the shot much simpler and faster having that dot on target.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Thanks to all for replies and some good insight. My 'issues' seem magnified beyond 10 yards, and it's not my sight picture. I am thinking right hand (dominant hand) is gripping too tightly combined with trigger control. My hope is a laser (and I am not 'sold' on getting one) would help me see where the shot breaks as I am presenting my gun, aiming, and pulling the trigger. I am doing dry-fire drills.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Thanks to all for replies and some good insight. My 'issues' seem magnified beyond 10 yards, and it's not my sight picture. I am thinking right hand (dominant hand) is gripping too tightly combined with trigger control. My hope is a laser (and I am not 'sold' on getting one) would help me see where the shot breaks as I am presenting my gun, aiming, and pulling the trigger. I am doing dry-fire drills.
    If its just slow fire accuracy and trigger control you want to improve, lasers can be a great tool. That moving red dot tells no lies. Doing the classic ball and dummy drill can be a real eye opener for folks to see how good their trigger control really is.
    Caveat...at slow speeds only.

Start shooting faster, and "post ignition push" becomes indistinguishable from pre-ignition push (anticipating the shot, flinching, whatever).

But for developing pure slow fire accuracy, the laser has helped me, and many many other shooters I work with.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I say ball and dummy drills. The LAV class I took did wonders for my trigger control. Just gonna regurgeatate info. 80/20 dummy to live if your trigger control sucks. Jerk and follow with 5 perfect dry fires. Repeat as needed

As far as lazers being usefull. I have a use. My eyesight SUCKS! I think I'm around -1300 give or take. With contacts around 20/20. Glasses not so good plus I get "walleye vision". For HD I can hit a target with no glasses with a light and a lazer at house distance.

I don't think a lazer does anything a empty casing won't due for dryfire.
    Can't Quit.
    Not Dead

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles McGee View Post
    I say ball and dummy drills. The LAV class I took did wonders for my trigger control. Just gonna regurgeatate info. 80/20 dummy to live if your trigger control sucks. Jerk and follow with 5 perfect dry fires. Repeat as needed

As far as lazers being usefull. I have a use. My eyesight SUCKS! I think I'm around -1300 give or take. With contacts around 20/20. Glasses not so good plus I get "walleye vision". For HD I can hit a target with no glasses with a light and a lazer at house distance.

I don't think a lazer does anything a empty casing won't due for dryfire.
    The empty case drill is good, but not as informative as using a laser. ANY movement of the gun gets seen with the laser. You can still have a fair bit of front site movement with the empty case technique and not have the case fall off. Plus, its very slow to set up.
    I use that drill regularly with new shooters...but doing the same thing with a laser is much faster and more productive.

For my own dryfire accuracy development, I do 50/50 Wall drill (dry fire observing the sights) and dry fire with laser.

FWIW, LAV is a fan of using ctc lasergrips.

Feedback Score
    I've heard from open gun shooters that shooting a red dot site for awhile increased their accuracy when they went back to shooting production (or any iron sight pistol). Their trigger control got better after shooting groups and being able to visibly see their wobble zone so prominently.
    A laser has the same effect.

Feedback Score
    The OP could always try out a SIRT pistol.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I have a CTC on my CC weapon, but I look at it as a force multiplier. I ignore it when shooting, it is zeroed and I do check it periodically but it was never my intention to rely on it. I wanted it for the intimidation value. The last thing I want to have to do is pull the trigger on someone so if the laser causes them to change their behavior it has served its purpose. I train with my sights for the simple fact that the laser can become a crutch and fail you at the most inopportune time.

I have used it to shot skunks a couple of times at night. My reasoning may seem silly and a waste to some but I have to pull my weapon luckily when the little red dot hit his chest he he changed his mind.

As for improving your accuracy rely practice the basics using ball and dummy drills. Practice practice practice not a crutch especially one that relies on batteries. If you train with a laser you will be looking for it and not your sights when the time comes.
    Last edited by juliomorris; 12-13-12 at 12:12. Reason: oops

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by juliomorris View Post
    I have a CTC on my CC weapon, but I look at it as a force multiplier. I ignore it when shooting, it is zeroed and I do check it periodically but it was never my intention to rely on it. I wanted it for the intimidation value. The last thing I want to have to do is pull the trigger on someone so if the laser causes them to change their behavior it has served its purpose. I train with my sights for the simple fact that the laser can become a crutch and fail you at the most inopportune time.

I have used it to shot skunks a couple of times at night. My reasoning may seem silly and a waste to some but I have to pull my weapon luckily when the little red dot hit his chest he he changed his mind.

As for improving your accuracy rely practice the basics using ball and dummy drills. Practice practice practice not a crutch especially one that relies on batteries. If you train with a laser you will be looking for it and not your sights when the time comes.
    I was wondering when this would come up...

You are right in thinking that pulling the trigger should be the last resort...however, I will counter your statement by saying that you should never even clear the holster unless you are 110% sure that you are actually going to pull the trigger. Of course, if the situation changes between the time that you clear your holster and get sights alligned, then that's different. But if I ever have to allign sights on someone, in self defense, then there's a really good chance that I'll be pulling that trigger.

Also, in some states, it is illegal to "brandish a weapon", so if you were to clear the holster, and not shoot, the tables could be turned on you and YOU would be the one in trouble instead of your attacker. Just something to think about if you happen to live in a place with those laws.

In other words, my mindset has changed over the last few years. It used to be "cool, I have a gun, I'm protected"....now its, "ok, I have a gun, but I'm sure as hell not going to use it unless I absolutely have to! I'll fight H2H first (if possible)...THEN move to deadly force if that's necessary". Every situation is different, but as an example, the George Zimmerman case where he was mounted and getting his head beat in, THEN used the gun.

Feedback Score
    I use a CTC laser grip on my S&W J Frame. The intent of the weapon is quick close shots for defense. I am of the opinion that the laser grip helps with quick target aquisition at a close range. It accents the point and shoot of the J Frame. That's just my opinion.

I also have a CTC laser grip on my Beretta 92FS. The laser was given to me. It seems helpful when dry firing in low light conditions. To be honest though, when at the range I have it turned off and use the iron sights. I don't shoot the Beretta that much.

My usual handgun (what I carry) is a Glock 21SF or 30SF and I don't have a laser on either of them. I don't think that a laser would help with accuracy except maybe in low light conditions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast