Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitting on SureFire MB556K after 1k rounds

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys.

I built this as a precision rig, and would hate to think that my going with the SureFire instead of the OPS Inc. cost the rifle accuracy.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sticks, it looks like much of what you have there is simply hard carbon build up
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    That was my initial thoughts, but once I started to scrape at it with a pick, is when I started to notice the "dents" rather than high spots, and any high spots that I went after refused to even chip.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There will still be erosion. After all, the gases are exiting the muzzle around 5700 fps, give or take. Look what the gases do to a gas port in this photo borrowed from the gas port erosion thread

The gases are also hitting those baffles straight on. There is going to be wear.

Just judging from your photos, it does look like quite a bit of carbon build up. What I was trying to point out is that the erosion may not be as bad as it looks
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've never had a brake on the AR platform, but have the factory brake on AKS-74. Cleaning is a must after corrosive... very little wear on the one baffle, but there is plenty of carbon, and yes its plenty hard.

I thoughts the pics looked like carbon too. Wear on any brake/blast baffle is just gonna be the nature of the beast. What kind of round count should one expect with this type of brake on a M4?
    Last edited by Campbell; 11-25-12 at 13:20.
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Right now it has a no name 2.5-10x42 on it. Waiting for the deal to close on my PSL so I can buy a NF C297.

It was a bit different running a carbine course with a scope, but once I got used to the cheek weld and head position from low ready it was not all that bad. Different, well...wild was the support side shooting from the VTAC barricade in unconventional positions.
    No name? That wouldn't be a Weaver-Kaspa, would it? How has it held up?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Normal huh? Seems a bit excessive but this is my first brake.
    Quite normal. The brake looks familiar. I am pretty sure you and your twin were shooting on either side of me last weekend! The blast from those brakes make my Battlecomp tame by comparison.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Quite normal. The brake looks familiar. I am pretty sure you and your twin were shooting on either side of me last weekend! The blast from those brakes make my Battlecomp tame by comparison.
    I've no twin, so must've been me.

PM Inbound
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have the same break. I also have the same build up. Its the nature of the beast. I have almost 5k through the rifle. I will try and get a few pictures up.

Grant do you know if Surefire discontinued the MB556 or are they still producing them? I'm still a few months away from my can and should prob try and grab another MB556 if they did discontinue them.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yhmspecter View Post
    I have the same break. I also have the same build up. Its the nature of the beast. I have almost 5k through the rifle. I will try and get a few pictures up.

Grant do you know if Surefire discontinued the MB556 or are they still producing them? I'm still a few months away from my can and should prob try and grab another MB556 if they did discontinue them.
    They still make them and we have them in stock.

C4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast