Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking About AK Top Cover / Rail Solutions...

Feedback Score
    Yes and no.

Yes it is on the side rail. This has been proven time and time again to be one of the parts of an AK that doesn't move when firing. The Russians weren't dumb when they move the optics to this location.

If you make the top cover too rigid, you risk a lot by tying two components together that in an AK aren't meant to be rigidly tied together. This will break one of the pieces, usually the milled AL piece.

The only way around this would be to create a new receiver, or cantilever a mount off the front of the rifle.

Basically use a Krebs rail or a side rail if you want the optic towards the rear, or a handguard mount like the ultimak up front.

I LOVE the idea - and have been chewing on it for nearly 3 years, but I cant find anything better than the side rail. Everything has too many shortcomings compared to side rails. The only downside of side rails is that you cannot lock a side folding stock and that not all AK's have one.

A better solution is definitely out there somewhere - I know I haven't found "ideal" yet.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I too have given this a lot of thought, and have come to the conclusion that there is not going to be a perfect option on an AK.

Ultimak rail? Makes an already front heavy rifle too heavy to be worth the hassle.

Ultimak gas tube? Gets very hot (although this can be mitigated with heat tape) and shifts the balance slightly to the front. Doesn't allow me to get my hand out as far as I would like either.

Side mount? Prevents side-folding and leaves you needing another solution for a light.

MI extended rail? Choose between co-witness or quick detach, and according to some reports it adversely affects accuracy.

TWS dogleg? Apparently suffers from POI shifts after detachment and leaves you needing another solution for a light

TWS rail? Does not co-witness, gets extremely hot, and does not have options available for heat shielding or mounting strips.

I personally prefer the Ultimak gas tube, as imperfect as it is. I am not bothered by the balance of having a micro over the hand guard, and mitigate the heat issue with grip tape over automotive tape covering the sides of tube. On my AK74 which shoots corrosive ammo, I use a side rail because I consider the Ultimak contraindicated due to the enhanced cleaning requirements. I am throwing around the idea of trying a MI rail, but am not sure whether I like the idea of having to take the rail apart to remove the optic- or the possible potential for decreased accuracy.
    Last edited by calvin118; 11-29-12 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about a redesign with a top cover fully integral to the receiver, fire control group that removes from the bottom, stock and rear trunion held in place by two pushpins ala HK, and bolt group with removable charging handle with bolt group that removes from the rear of the receiver.. Oh wait that is essentially a SIG 55x or FNC.

Personally if I want an optic capable AK, I will just grab my 551, 552, or 553. And if it has to run in auto, I'll grab my FNC.

But in all seriousness and without further thread drift, Steyr I like the idea of a top cover that attaches via rigid rails. That is an interesting idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12