Thread: First AR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First AR

I FINALLY got the upper from my 'smith today. This build has been a long time coming. I built it as a general use carbine. The expected range is 0-300 yards, and I'm running Hornady 77 grain steel match primarily.

Upper:

Daniel Defense lightweight CHF 16" barrel (midlength gas)
    RRA midlength handguards
    PK Firearms A1 upper
    generic BCG (thanks internet, no BCGs anywhere)

Lower:

PSA Blem
    Fulton Armory A1 stock
    Geissele SSA-E w/ PSA LPK
    MOE grip
    20 round PMAGs

Optic:

3x mini ACOG (TA33)

I absolutely love this rifle. It ran 100 rounds of Hornady 77 grain steel match today without a hiccup. The ACOG on the carry handle is freaking awesome. I heard SO many people say that it was horrible, but the transition from the irons to the ACOG is seamless, and I still get a good cheek weld. 100 yard shots is child's play. I can't think of a single thing that I'd change, we'll see w/ time. Every AR that I ever build will wear a Geissele trigger too. It's easily the equivalent to the nicest bolt-action trigger that I've fired.

Feedback Score
    It looks great! I've got an A2 I and was thinking about getting an ACOG like that (or a 4X) for it, but decided to hold off. This is getting me thinking about it again. How is the eye relief, in regards to how close your face/nose gets to the charging handle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Eye relief was definitely something that I was concerned about. I went with the TA33 instead of the TA31 because i had heard that there was such a huge difference. My TA33 has several inches of eye relief (much more than advertised). I run nose to the charging handle, and switching between irons and the ACOG is a breeze, I don't even change my cheek weld, I just rotate my head up slightly.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Looks good. Get a good bolt and put the no name on reserve. Does your upper have m4 ramps?
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The upper does have the M4 ramps. I was very pleased with the PK Firearms customer service and their products. I'm working on a PSA or BCM BCG, but they are rarer than hen's teeth at the moment unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acjones20 View Post
    Eye relief was definitely something that I was concerned about. I went with the TA33 instead of the TA31 because i had heard that there was such a huge difference. My TA33 has several inches of eye relief (much more than advertised). I run nose to the charging handle, and switching between irons and the ACOG is a breeze, I don't even change my cheek weld, I just rotate my head up slightly.
    Thanks for the insight, that sounds like a good fit for my rifle.