Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAC mini4 question

Feedback Score

AAC mini4 question

I've been thinking about buying a can for my ARs and settled on the mini4. My question is, after looking at AACs website it's unclear on how it mounts. All it says is that the mount is a 51T ratchet mount. Does that mean you have to have the 51T muzzle brake or flash hider to mount it? Also, can it be pinned and welded on a 14.5 upper? I searched for mini4 and all that came up for a couple threads. Thanks in advance, this will be my first suppressor so I'm def a newb

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    I've been thinking about buying a can for my ARs and settled on the mini4. My question is, after looking at AACs website it's unclear on how it mounts. All it says is that the mount is a 51T ratchet mount. Does that mean you have to have the 51T muzzle brake or flash hider to mount it? Also, can it be pinned and welded on a 14.5 upper? I searched for mini4 and all that came up for a couple threads. Thanks in advance, this will be my first suppressor so I'm def a newb
    Yes, you mount the mini4 to a 51T muzzle device.

Pinning and welding a 51T flash hider to a 14.5" barrel is pretty common.

Feedback Score
    Awesome, thanks. That's what I thought I just wanted to be sure. They didn't give as much detail on the mini4 as the other 3 5.56 suppressors. Is the street price on suppressors usually the same as msrp or are they usually a little less like with other products?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
    Awesome, thanks. That's what I thought I just wanted to be sure. They didn't give as much detail on the mini4 as the other 3 5.56 suppressors. Is the street price on suppressors usually the same as msrp or are they usually a little less like with other products?
    Iirc, a mini 4 can be had for $750.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just a word on warning considering that you are not familiar with suppressors or mounts...

Afaik, AAC has already shown a replacement mount that makes the 51T mount and cans obsolete. The new 90T Taper mount was announced, then shelved and tentatively slated for release in 2013 but when is anyone's guess. It might be in re-design, but the point is 51T is leaving.

Personally, I would not get into 51T now considering it's stamped expiration date is coming up. Certainly not for pinning and welding, but also for being stuck with the 51T cans considering the expense and wait time with NFA.

I wouldn't want to get stuck with an outdated mount. Surefire's SOCOM uses a new mount that just came out that replaces their old ones and those are shipping now with a mini can option. Silencerco's Saker uses an all new mount but they have said they will support their own as well as AAC's 51T via a modular adapter, so there may be hope for old mount owners getting newer/better cans in the future. They haven't said anything about a mini can though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't sweat getting a 51T mount for a second. Pick up a spare mount when you get a chance and they'll last you a long time.... through the next 3 - 4 mount systems that they'll come up with.

That mini is a nice can, and PERFECT for a gas gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Oh wow, that kind of scares me. I'm somewhat waiting till tax time before the purchase anyways. Maybe they'll make the change by then

Feedback Score
    Also, one of my uppers is already a 14.5 pin/weld from the factory. My gunsmith/SOT manufacturer said that its possible to remove the pin and put a new brake on. Destroying the flash hider in the process but it should be ok from what he says

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I wouldn't sweat getting a 51T mount for a second. Pick up a spare mount when you get a chance and they'll last you a long time.... through the next 3 - 4 mount systems that they'll come up with.

That mini is a nice can, and PERFECT for a gas gun.
    Eh.... If the 51T was a SOLID mount, maybe I might agree. But it's not. It's OKAY but that's about it's best description, better than their 18T but that was shitty. If someone had the older Surefire mounts, fine, stick with it if you like, they aren't bad. Or Gem-Tech's Halo that attaches to A2 style flash hiders, fine, at least you have options. If you're already into 51T on your rifles, fine.

But to be fresh and go with the marginal 51T knowing something better is coming to replace it? Nah, that's bad advice.

Pick up a spare mount? What about when AAC releases a new can and it's only for their new mount? I wouldn't be worried about not being able to get the mounts themselves, but rather being pushed out of any new options further down the line.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's been some bad 18ts... and some 51ts that don't lock solid.

The 51t can be modded to get it to lock up to the next click.

Unless there's a can IN STOCK, at a dealer, I'll never wait on these clowns in the industry. Plus, who's to say that this new stupid mount is any better than the last mediocre mounts???

We run about 8 or 9 of those 51t mounts and none of them are problems worth hollering about.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast