Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor bore/channel diameter?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Suppressor bore/channel diameter?

Hey guys, new to M4C, but had a quick question.
    May be a better question for silencertalk, but I figured someone here may know.

how much wider should the internal channel and bore of a suppressor be compared to the projectile?

ex. if you had a 5.56mm projectile, what would the diameter of the channel where the projectile travels in the suppressor. It was just on my mind after I looked at a friends suppressor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is no spec. It's different for every can out there. Please if you a planning a form1 can and asking this question, just stop now!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    oh no, not planning on that!

I was just curious becuase I noticed that 5.56, .22 and 9mm all had 1/2x28 thread pattern. Obviously I'd never fire a 9mm through a 5.56 can, but I was kind of curious about the dimensions.

Just "theorizing" a little about how they work- if a tighter "channel" would lead to increased gas turbulence in the chambers. I know the diameter makes some difference- (5.56 through a 7.62 can isn't near a quite as a 5.56 can).... just curious :-)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My m4-1000 07 model appeared to have baffles that progressively opened up as they approached the end cap. I could only measure the end cap with my Calipers and it was around .300" if I remember correctly... (for a 5.56 can)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    so the end cap is apprx 35-40% larger than the projectile in the case of your can.

very cool to know! thank you :-)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 5.56 is not that much quieter in a 5.56 can as a 7.62 can. So that can stop here. But markm is correct IIRC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Royalflush View Post
    Obviously I'd never fire a 9mm through a 5.56 can, but I was kind of curious about the dimensions.
    You wouldn't be the first

Just "theorizing" a little about how they work- if a tighter "channel" would lead to increased gas turbulence in the chambers. I know the diameter makes some difference- (5.56 through a 7.62 can isn't near a quite as a 5.56 can).... just curious :-)
    Yes, a smaller bore allows the bullet to act as more of a stopper between baffles. In that instant in time the bullet is coaxial to the baffle, the faster gasses have no choice but to divert other directions.

Smaller bored cans are quieter. But have a higher risk of baffle strikes. So it's a trade-off. AAC (and others?) uses an electrified wire (EDM) to taper cut (make a cone) in their cans that allows for a small bore up front where the bullet has the least deviation from the muzzle and opens up more at each baffle.

There are some really small bored cans out there for their calibers. There are some giants as well, like .35" for a 223 can somewhere iirc.

The mount plays in as well. A thread mount can should be allowed to have a smaller bore than say a shitty AAC 18T that wobbles all over the place (the kind markm mentioned). So there are no "rules" as to what bore should or can be.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    The 5.56 is not that much quieter in a 5.56 can as a 7.62 can. So that can stop here. But markm is correct IIRC
    Correct, but they are quieter, and more importantly lighter and smaller, should probably have less flash but potentially more blowback. I see a lot of people absolutely recommending 762 cans without considering anything but sound. Which as you pointed out is not that important for the 556 round.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    You wouldn't be the first

Yes, a smaller bore allows the bullet to act as more of a stopper between baffles. In that instant in time the bullet is coaxial to the baffle, the faster gasses have no choice but to divert other directions.

Smaller bored cans are quieter. But have a higher risk of baffle strikes. So it's a trade-off. AAC (and others?) uses an electrified wire (EDM) to taper cut (make a cone) in their cans that allows for a small bore up front where the bullet has the least deviation from the muzzle and opens up more at each baffle.

There are some really small bored cans out there for their calibers. There are some giants as well, like .35" for a 223 can somewhere iirc.

The mount plays in as well. A thread mount can should be allowed to have a smaller bore than say a shitty AAC 18T that wobbles all over the place (the kind markm mentioned). So there are no "rules" as to what bore should or can be.
    This was very helpful! Thank you.
    Pretty much exactly answered the question in my mind which i poorly delivered to the keyboard.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Happy to. Although I used wrong word when I said coaxial, as the bullet is always coaxial to the baffles, I'm not sure what the exact word would be (sort of co-linear I guess), but you seem to get it.

I did forget to mention that if you buy a shitty can, you'll end up learning all about that can's mount, it's construction, what you do about baffle strikes / end cap kisses, features, bore size, flaws, and at least the idea is that if you buy a good can you'll never need to know any of that, it'll just work.

Fwiw, I was done ****ing around so I pony'ed up and bought the surefire socom cans. I don't and most likely will never care what the bore diameter on those cans are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast