Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noob Suppressor Assistance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I was able to hear a distinct difference in silencers for the first time a few weeks back. We shot Pappabears AAC Mini 4 and M42000 side by side on ARs and Swapped them both out on a Rem 700 bolt gun.

The Mini had a different and slightly louder sound when listening above the proned out shooters. But the mini was no louder at the shooters position on the gas gun.
    I think he was referring to the difference in going with a 7.62 vs 556 can. If you own a 308 or something the ability to use the can on several guns be a big factor. They will be slightly louder but not by much. I also agree with picking up a 22lr can as your first. You will probably get a lot more use out of it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Gotcha... That's be interesting too. We've shot the 762SDN on the 5.56s... but I'd like to do a head to head with the 2000.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I would also check out Silencero. They've got some great stuff as well!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very informal test I was involved in proved to me I made a great decision by getting an AAC 7.62.

Versatility is awesome. The can shares time on an AR, 300blk, and a 308 bolt. It is truly awesome.

Suppression is about the same. A few decibels better for the 5.56 can but still leaves you with .22/5.56 options only.

So if money is kindling for you, get every caliber. For me it is an issue and best value is the 7.62(whatever flavor).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There is not a 556 can extant that will make it truly hearing safe. Tolerable, certainly, especially shooting in open snowy fields or some such. A 7.62 can is going to be very long and feel very heavy. A mini can will be as quiet for the shooter (but not many observers) as something bigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    Very informal test I was involved in proved to me I made a great decision by getting an AAC 7.62.

Versatility is awesome. The can shares time on an AR, 300blk, and a 308 bolt. It is truly awesome.

Suppression is about the same. A few decibels better for the 5.56 can but still leaves you with .22/5.56 options only.

So if money is kindling for you, get every caliber. For me it is an issue and best value is the 7.62(whatever flavor).

This is the basic conclusion I've come to as well. Especially after experiencing 300BLK subs through an SDN6, my priorities for a rifle suppressor changed in an instant, and having the ability to handle 300BLK more than offset any concern about a few extra decibels shaved off of 5.56 by using a 5.56 can. I gotta say, 5.56 is still really freaking loud suppressed. If you're looking for recreational use, the pistol calibers and 300BLK are much more fun.

Feedback Score
    My apologies, I worded that poorly. I was shooting the SDN-6 off my DDM4v1 next to a N4 ,with SB, and a M42k. I'm sure if we had something to measure it, it would have shown a difference in the decibels, but I couldn't audibly tell the difference, not scientific, but just my experience. It might be because I was behind my gun and lateral to the M42k, but others said they couldn't hear a difference either.

Here's the rifle.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Well this thread went off in a strange direction. Guess I need to get a 300BO upper instead of a suppressor?

I have a lot more research to do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Well this thread went off in a strange direction. Guess I need to get a 300BO upper instead of a suppressor?

I have a lot more research to do.
    You don't have to get a 300 upper. Those were just some suggestions to consider a 7.62 can for use on 5.56, as it will give you that capability in the future without having to buy another can. For all intents and purposes, it would be just as effective at suppressing 5.56 as a 5.56 can, but with more versatility.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everyusernametaken View Post
    You don't have to get a 300 upper. Those were just some suggestions to consider a 7.62 can for use on 5.56, as it will give you that capability in the future without having to buy another can. For all intents and purposes, it would be just as effective at suppressing 5.56 as a 5.56 can, but with more versatility.
    So a 762 can would be just as effective? That sounds like it would be a good choice to go with then, given the versatility. Why doesn't everyone do this then?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast