Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob Suppressor Assistance

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Noob Suppressor Assistance

M4carbiner's,

I need some serious purchasing assistance. I've decided to get a can and I'm totally lost... I own a DD M4V7 and I'm looking for the following features in priority order:

Maximum sounds suppression
    Minimum loss of zero at 100 meters
    Quick Detach

I'm leaning towards a Surefire or AAC model but I can be persuaded towards other brands.

Any comments or help here would be totally appreciated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can't really go wrong with either of those brands. They make great stuff. Personally I would go on Silencer talk and just start reading as much as you can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any reason why you want your first can to be for 5.56? I don't currently own a suppressor and am not in any way trying to tell you what you should and should not be buying, but I too was looking to buy a 5.56 can for my first NFA item. After doing some research and looking at the DB numbers, you see that 5.56 doesn't suppress well, at least compared to calibers like 9mm and .22 LR.

I fully intend to buy a suppressor for my AR at some point, especially once I SBR it, but my first can will be 9mm or .22 LR.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipulusArmorum View Post
    Any reason why you want your first can to be for 5.56? I don't currently own a suppressor and am not in any way trying to tell you what you should and should not be buying, but I too was looking to buy a 5.56 can for my first NFA item. After doing some research and looking at the DB numbers, you see that 5.56 doesn't suppress well, at least compared to calibers like 9mm and .22 LR.

I fully intend to buy a suppressor for my AR at some point, especially once I SBR it, but my first can will be 9mm or .22 LR.
    Agreed .22LR and 9mm cans give you a lot more Shhh for the buck.

That said, Surefire and AAC are considered top tier for 5.56 cans. The Surefire is pricier, but some say the POI shift is less with it than the AAC. If you're running it suppressed full time that isn't really a factor, so it depends on what your intent is for a 5.56 can.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    A 5.56 AAC CAN will treat you well.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Noob here as well, but from what I have been looking into, I am considering the 7.62 can and using adapter on the 556 to work with it. That way it works for many more platforms and you only lose 1 decibel or so. Anyone please chime in if I am wrong on this.

Feedback Score
    I believe there is a decibel difference, but it was hard to hear the difference for me. I shot a sdn6 on my AR next to a m42k a couple weeks ago and I couldn't tell a difference.
    Last edited by ABNINF; 11-30-12 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Surefire has more options for total length of the suppressor. I think there are five or six options ranging from 4" short to like 10" long

AAC basically only has the mini and m4-2k.

But still, another vote for the m4-2k for the overall cost/performance of it.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Noob here as well, but from what I have been looking into, I am considering the 7.62 can and using adapter on the 556 to work with it. That way it works for many more platforms and you only lose 1 decibel or so. Anyone please chime in if I am wrong on this.
    that work well. You get a versatile-use can.

The "costs" versus dedicated 5.56 are a few dB louder (not noticeable real-world with supersonic ammo), longer can, heavier can.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNINF View Post
    I believe there is a decibel difference, but it was hard to hear the difference for me. I shot a sdn6 on my AR next to a m42k a couple weeks ago and I couldn't tell a difference.
    I was able to hear a distinct difference in silencers for the first time a few weeks back. We shot Pappabears AAC Mini 4 and M42000 side by side on ARs and Swapped them both out on a Rem 700 bolt gun.

The Mini had a different and slightly louder sound when listening above the proned out shooters. But the mini was no louder at the shooters position on the gas gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast