Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer Crimp Removal: Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer vs. Dillon Super Swage 600

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightbulb Primer Crimp Removal: Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer vs. Dillon Super Swage 600

After using a Dillon Super Swage to get the crimp out of military 5.56 brass primer pockets, and becoming increasingly frustrated with it, I ordered a Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer at the suggestion of some folks here.

I kinda wish I had one of these before putting some $$$ on the Dillon.

What I like about the Hornady Pocket Reamer: It's cheap. $10 for the small primer pocket tool, and extra cutting heads can be had for slightly less. It takes 2-3 turns to remove the crimp - and you're done. You need to do this over a bucket because of the brass shavings.

What's pissing me off with the Dillon Super Swage 600 It's becoming increasingly apparent that it's not worth the $100 I spent on it. If you do a lot of reloading, the swage rod only lasts about 1,000 rounds before it gets worn down and has to be replaced (a $20 part). Well before that, I found myself having to swage the same pocket multiple times and then having to fiddle with the case locator rod to get the case closer to the swage rod. Worse, the locator rod can "bell" the neck of the case, which sucks if you've already resized your brass. Lastly, the thing has to be mounted to a sturdy bench.

I guess you live and learn ... if you ask me, I think the Hornady Pocket Reamer is the better tool (cheaper, more efficient). Only question is ... how many cases can you decrimp before the cutters get dull?
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    I've got thousands of rounds done on my super swage. Guess would be 5-6k ? Hell my son, 9, likes to remove the crimps with it. The only reloading he can do so far... I've never had to replace a thing. ??? Its a way better product than any hand reamer, a reamer is way too easy to remove too much brass and the case is toast.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I did exactly the opposite and purchased the Hornady reamer first. It simply would not do the job for me. Next, I tried the RCBS swagger and it did the job but was very slow. With buckets of brass to go through I needed something faster. That is when I decided to try the Dillon super swage. It was a little frustrating at first but once you get it adjusted it works great. I have done about 1500 cases so far.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I dumped that super swager years ago, Man!

Chuck the cutter in a hand drill and I can fly through brass just as fast as I could with the swager, but NO ruined primer pockets.

The nice thing is you can sell the Swager and get your money out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    Its a way better product than any hand reamer, a reamer is way too easy to remove too much brass and the case is toast.
    In 10s of thousands of rounds, I've never ruined a single case with the reamer. (specifically the Hornady) It bottoms out in the pocket. If I'm asleep at the wheel, I can cut a pocket crooked... but it's not ruined.
    Last edited by markm; 11-30-12 at 07:03.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I dumped that super swager years ago, Man!
    I agree that the Hornady reamer can be just as fast or faster. Mine seemed like it bottomed out too soon and it was very difficult to seat primers. Even with my hand primer. If I could get the Hornady reamer to work for me I'd sell the super swager in a heart beat but it has been the only that has worked with one pass. I'm all about learning new ways.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I'm not really sure how brass can wear down a steel rod

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Arrow

I guess I'll go change my tampon before thinking about ditching the Dillon.

I must be doing something wrong.

In any event, I can't go wrong now that I have both.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    I must be doing something wrong.
    No. It sucks ASS!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    In 10s of thousands of rounds, I've never ruined a single case with the reamer. (specifically the Hornady) It bottoms out in the pocket. If I'm asleep at the wheel, I can cut a pocket crooked... but it's not ruined.
    A few nights back my 9 year old popped 450-500 cases. None in the trash. Glad you like the reamer, I've just got indentured servitude.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    A few nights back my 9 year old popped 450-500 cases. None in the trash. Glad you like the reamer, I've just got indentured servitude.
    I have my monkey seating bullets as I run them off the Chargemaster. I need to train him on more.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast