Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer Crimp Removal: Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer vs. Dillon Super Swage 600

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    With the Hornady tool in a drill, I've intentionally rocked cases left and right, front and back and couldn't open the pocket enough to be ruined.

I initially did a few thousand cases with the tool as I received it but I found out that when seating primers in reamed cases, there was some resistance. The primer would slide in with a clunk and I'd find a crescent moon sliver of brass in my press's primer cup. I ground a few thousandths off the tip of the reamer so it could cut a little deeper. Now it puts a generous chamfer on the primer pocket and primers slide in beautifully.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    With the Hornady tool in a drill, I've intentionally rocked cases left and right, front and back and couldn't open the pocket enough to be ruined.
    You're a SICK MAN! But that's good to know. I've never tried to go nuts with the cutter.

To give a sliver of credit to the Swagers types... you do get the benefit of additional work hardening of the case head by swaging. Don't let it go to your "head" though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have both as well. I use the SS to do bulk lots of brass, like 5k at a time. I keep the pocket reamer on my bench just in case I run into a pocket that needs a touch up.

Feedback Score

this works for me-the threads are the same as GI rods

the drill is mounted to the bench

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    ... my son, 9, likes to remove the crimps with it. The only reloading he can do so far...
    He doesn't fill your primer tubes?

My daughter has been happily filling primer tubes since she was five. I don't want her close to anything that might expose her to lead, and that means no fired brass. I might let her run the Dillon swager some day, but it'll be a long time before I let her work near a power drill (one point for Dillon).

I'm asking Santa for the Dillon "Super Swager" for X-mas. I looks sooo easy when the guys do it on YouTube! Are you guys saying that the Hornady is even better?

Feedback Score

to each his own

It takes about a second to do the primer pocket with the Horn drill
    set up I use

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E4for2 View Post
    the drill is mounted to the bench
    I own the Dillon unit, but I like the looks of your set up. I am going to have to try that out.

Thanks !

Feedback Score

horn cutter

I have a small dill press I got from harbr freight ,I will try that setup cool.

Feedback Score

horn cutter

I have a small drill press I got from harbr freight ,I will try that setup cool.

Feedback Score
    Had my SS600 from when they first came out,works like a champ.I dont see how the metal swaging rods could wear out in 1k rounds.Mine has to be from the late eighties and swaged untold amounts of brass.They are pricey,yes,doubled in price.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast