Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do I get suckered in....................

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I will NEVER give up the OLY fight! As some of you know I collect OLY horror stories and post them whenever someone asks about Oly's "tight tollerances".

They way I look at it is this....

Even if the Imbecile asking refuses to listen, there may be a handful of people with functioning brain cells who read the thread on choose NOT to make the OLY mistake!

Here's my latest good find! (and a good argument to use for those peckerheads who site oly's warrantee for a reason to buy the crap)

As posted on AR15.com

Originally Posted By 357mag:
    I recently retrieved a cast Olympic Arms lower that I had purchased about 7 years ago and assembled it and pinned it to a Bushmaster upper that I had. When I tried to insert a magazine into the mag well it wouldn't go in all the way. Upon inspection, I discovered that the magazine well is located too far forward by 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch and the magazine contacts, and is blocked by the edge of the upper receiver. Have any of you ever heard of this problem? Anyone know about how Olympic Arms is to deal with? I wonder if there is any chance that they'd replace it.

357mag

UPDATE 1/10/08

I called Olympic Arms to ask about replacing my lower and they said that they WILL NOT honor the warrantee. Their explanation was that this lower and the upper that it supposedly came with were sold as a matched pair. Why am I not surprised.

Lesson learned: Steer clear of Olympic Arms.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by donr101395 View Post
    Why is it that everytime someone asks if their newly purchased Oly is a POS on a forum and I give them honest opinion backed up with facts and a couple of tips to help it run more reliable; I get suckered into some some sort of dick swinging contest with some idiot who lives near the factory and has never seen a bad Oly. Purely based on his sampling of two, his and his buddies who broke a bolt, but Oly replaced it when they drove to the factory?
    I guess I can't help it, I just have a hard on for inferior junk.

Sorry for the ramble, I just needed to vent.
    I am just like you. Always wanting to assist with info and then get called every name in the book for it.

Send me a link so I can "help" them with their ignorance.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I go through phases of "why bother". Really it's the only answer. Starting to feel one of those phases coming on now, as frankly I just don't give a damn what "clips" some idiot puts on his M4 with a bipod and an airsoft "scope" on the carryhandle.

Remember this; most people that ask for advice aren't actually looking for advice, they're looking for you to validate their foregone conclusion. Once you understand this, the reactions most people have to "advice" are clearly understood. Whether they've already bought that Oly, or only have $700 to buy an AR and found out that Oly was the only one they could afford, or their sister's boyfriend's brother is a cop and he suggested Oly.... the result is always the same. They had/have their mind made up before they ever ask the question, and what they really want is for you to tell them "hey, that's a GREAT idea".

Easier just to move on and leave them be. It's not like they're watching YOUR back, right?
    I do the same (go through stages). I have come to realize that if the weapon is going to sit in the safe or see 300rds a year through it, then buy whatever you want.

If the person buys an Oly (for instance) and then asks for opinions on it, then I will give them an honest answer.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 02-20-08 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, the guy might be onto something.

We know what we have done to acquire the knowledge-base we have. Unfortunately, due to the anonymous nature of the 'net, nobody else does. If LAV went unnamed, he would have the same people telling him he doesn't know what he is talking about.

However, since some of us have a well developed knowledge of a topic or concept as well as perspective, it becomes easier to identify good information.

It is very easy to fall into the thought process that you are paying more for brand x simply due to name, when brand y is just as good, especially to those that are new to a subject. While there may be a little bit of extra $$ to the Pony over say LMT, the price difference between a Colt and DPMS is not all in roll-mark. It takes time and experience to really understand that.
    Actually, that has happened (in regards to LAV). The window lickers on TOS ripped apart the article that LAV wrote awhile back.

I have always wondered how many armchair commandos does it take to tell an ex-Delta that he doesn't know what he is talking about?????

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 02-20-08 at 08:36.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I will NEVER give up the OLY fight! As some of you know I collect OLY horror stories and post them whenever someone asks about Oly's "tight tollerances".

Even if the Imbecile asking refuses to listen, there may be a handful of people with functioning brain cells who read the thread on choose NOT to make the OLY mistake!

Here's my latest good find! (and a good argument to use for those peckerheads who site oly's warrantee for a reason to buy the crap)

As posted on AR15.com
    I always love the "lifetime warranty" thing. When will people FINALLY realize that the manufacturer is most likely NOT going to replace something on your gun after 1yr (or 10yrs)??? It is simply a gimmick to attract people.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Reminds me of the movie "Tommy Boy" with Spade and Farley.

"Anyone can slap a warrantee on a piece of shit!"

That is the OLY model, and foolish people buy off on it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post

As posted on AR15.com
    Oy. Oly. It brings back sad memories of a gun show several years ago at The Big E in Springfield. A "dealer" unveiled a table full for pre-ban AR-15's. I spotted them across the hall and was drawn like a magnet to them. In Massachusetts, pre-ban anything raises your radar, (we're still under the AWB). Making a B-line, I simultaneously called Nice-Touch to check my bank/credit card balance as my grin grew wide. There were CAR's A2's, collapsable stocks and flash suppressors everywhere - Nirvana. There were people scrambling for rifles and magazines and credit cards. By the time I got to the table, there were only a few left, there was literally a line of people clutching rifles. I grabbed a CAR-copy and hung onto it like a sale at Filenes Basement. Then I looked at the receiver - they were all Olympic Arms. After witnessing one Oly with a cracked receiver and another disassemble itself in the lane next to me a year earlier, I was sad to say the least and a bit teary to those who had not done their research....I wonder how many of those buyers still beam at their purchase?

I'm not new to the AR-15 world, but I have been asleep at the wheel when it comes to makes, models, accessories, staking, 1:7 1:9, vertical grips, no vertical grips, rails, lights, lasers, BUIS, on and on and on. So much has changed - much for the better, but the growth of the market brings with it the growth of junk. What makes me grateful for a site like M4carbine.net is the wealth of information, opinions and ideas. From rob_s obvious disdain for anything bipod on a carbine, to the superb advice on the Sully stock, to the magnetizing read on sight pictures with hooded vs non-hooded sights, I am appreciative of what I read here - regardless of my opinion. The now infamous "chart" and the accompanying thread was possibly one of the most comprehensive undertakings I've seen online anywhere - it drew me into a place where knowledge and opinion abound and has aided me immeasurably in putting together the best M4-variant I can, (rest easy rob - no bipod included... )

Who knows the motivations of those who join, buy and post. I'm sure there are a fair amount of MN's out there looking to hang as much crap on their rifles as possible - many with an impressive bank account and an equally impressive desire to load their carbines to the hilt. There's also recreational shooters who appreciate the design and will spend their lives punching paper. There's still others who will train and may have their lives depending on their equipment. There is one commonality however - a kinship to the history, design, development and function of the AR-15/M-16 and it's nice to know that diversity can be respected...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MassMark View Post
    From rob_s obvious disdain for anything bipod on a carbine...
    Damn! Now I have to go buy a bipod and put it on a carbine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have owned a Colt sp1,built a bushmaster car-15.sold them during the ban made good money.and i jumped on russian Ak bandwagon.well after training at fort Knox with a colt m-4.I wanted another AR style weapon .I was trained on the M-4 slept with it ,ate with it!!LOL But I don't drink the Kool-aid.so i planned on buying parts and putting a gun together for my needs and as close to the m-4 I had at Knox ,well no "go fast switch".

But I read enough to make a good call on junk.and just looking at parts .I knew that you stay away from OLY ,plus when i picked one up at a Fun show.I began to see what all the fuss was about.it just didn't feel like a solid weapon,more of a aftermarket rattle trap.the upper and lower had play between them.I even showed a guy looking to by a AR next to me that the "Play" that the dealer was say was "no big deal" was a big deal.he ended up buying a nice used bushmaster.

but with that one guy taking his chance on what I was tell him was the truth,and to see the smile on his face when he saw me leaving,he walked up with the bushmaster,and told me the dealer that sold him the bushmaster had nothing good to say about the Oly.and he thanked me and so if someone hates what I have to say about a question they ask.about a lower made product ,than they should not ask,but if a oly fits ones needs just as a plinker and fits their budget.than i wish them all the luck in the world with it.But if you are going to defend your life with a weapon know your weapon and firearms makers before you buy.But the people who are Colt follower and thinkanthing but a colt is junk bugs me too

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    But the people who are Colt follower and thinkanthing but a colt is junk bugs me too
    Colt fans are not that extreme most of the time. I own a lot of non-Colt builds... most with Colt Bolt groups and such but.... I'm not a Colt or nothing shooter (just for reference on where I'm coming from)

Anyway... the differences between Colt and others is easily quantifiable. And there's even a Chart here itemizing the specific differences in the assembly and manufacture of a COLT AR compared to other common ARs.

The bottom line is that COLTs are built to a higher standard. It's not even debateable.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast