Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for left handed shooters?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks gunsup and scout. I drilled a little bit and found those bolt-release and CH techniques to work well. Still a little unsure on the selector technique, but if I continue to feel uncomfortable I can always go ambi. All the training I've had was geared toward righties by default and I was kind of on my own to adapt.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by berserker View Post
    Thanks gunsup and scout. I drilled a little bit and found those bolt-release and CH techniques to work well. Still a little unsure on the selector technique, but if I continue to feel uncomfortable I can always go ambi. All the training I've had was geared toward righties by default and I was kind of on my own to adapt.
    Check out Larry Vickers method for the safety.. it will show you what im talking about
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This thread has been helpful. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm a lefty. Here is how I have my guns set up and how I manipulate them.

I have recently started using a Troy ambi selector, but it's not necessary. If you do not use one, do not use your left thumb on the left side of the lower and then swap it to the right side. This produces a weak grip. Use the knuckle of your trigger finger to rotate the selector in and out of position. This keeps your hand wrapped around the grip as it should be.

Regarding the manipulation of the charging handle, this should be done using the right hand. It allows you to maintain your firing grip. This is important for several reasons, not the least of which is that you can use your trigger finger to depress the bottom of the bolt release when you want to lock the bolt to the rear during clearing of malfunctions. It's actually easier for a lefty than a right handed shooter, as a right handed shooter has to move his support hand to the receiver to do this action using the support thumb.

The only ambi piece of kit on the gun I find to be "necessary" is the mag release. I have both Norgon and KAC mag releases (I leave off the BIG button on the KAC, in favor of the standard button). After inserting a fresh mag into the gun, I use my trigger finger to release the bolt. Unless you have tiny sausage fingers, you can do this without moving your thumb from the backstrap of the grip.

I know that's brief and choppy, but I hope it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12