Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Over-gassed 11.5.. cut to 10.5 help at all??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Over-gassed 11.5.. cut to 10.5 help at all??

I haven't popped the FSB to check the exact port size yet...

But if an 11.5 is overgassed somewhat... would a cut down to 10.5 or 10.3 bring it around???

Is there enough difference in the two lengths to tame the beast?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Not sure exactly, but I had ADCO cut a 12.5" to 11.5" and they said there was no need to alter the gas port. I guess your results will depend on the severity of how overgassed it is to begin with. If you're running a suppressor on it.....fuggetaboutit.

I suggest looking into the SYRAC Ordnance Adj. Gas Block. I put one on my 11.5" to tame the gas with the suppressor installed. Works great! Might be cheaper than cutting down the barrel too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah... no way on the suppressor. I never run cans on my shorties.

I'd hate to lose the FIXED FSB, but that is an interesting option to keep in mind.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yeah... no way on the suppressor. I never run cans on my shorties.

I'd hate to lose the FIXED FSB, but that is an interesting option to keep in mind.
    Ah, yeah missed the part about it being a FSB. Well if you ever want a longer rail, then that would be an option. Look up port sizes for 10.5" and 11.5" and see what kind of difference there are in spec sizes. There may be a greater difference between 10.5 and 11.5" vs. 11.5" and 12.5".

Also, you could just run a heavier buffer...or A5 (if you're not already)...or LMT Enhanced Carrier...but like I've said before, all these things are really just bandaids for an overgassed system.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Also, you could just run a heavier buffer...or A5 (if you're not already)...or LMT Enhanced Carrier...but like I've said before, all these things are really just bandaids for an overgassed system.
    I agree on the bandaids analogy. I'll have to take off the FSB tonight to see if I'm even barking up the right tree.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    What about drilling out and threading a set screw in the FSB to function as a dam of sorts.

However big you want the gas port to be, drill that size in the set screw. Tap and screw the set screw into the underside of the FSB.

This would, more or less, function the same as the Syrac w/o the adjustable feature. Well, you could adjust it but it would require the removal of the FSB.

You may have to look at McMaster Carr or the like to find a set screw short enough. In reality, it doesn't have to be a set screw, just something to restrict the gas flow at the FSB.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I haven't popped the FSB to check the exact port size yet...

But if an 11.5 is overgassed somewhat... would a cut down to 10.5 or 10.3 bring it around???

Is there enough difference in the two lengths to tame the beast?
    Cutting the barrel down a full inch is about the same as changing the GP size from say .060 to .058 IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Doesn't sound like much of a gain.. (reduction)

Maybe I can get Iraqgunz to stop by the house today when he's out running his ponzi schemes throughout the city.

I can pull that sucker apart, but really don't have a good way to measure.
    Last edited by markm; 12-04-12 at 08:26.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Doesn't sound like much of a gain.. (reduction)

Maybe I can get Iraqgunz to stop by the house today when he's out running his ponzi schemes throughout the city.

I can pull that sucker apart, but really don't have a good way to measure.
    It isn't, but dwell time does add more pressure for sure.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    True... might be worth a cutdown just for the research value.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast