Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Over-gassed 11.5.. cut to 10.5 help at all??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orifice_plate

From choked flow:

"The choked flow of gases is useful in many engineering applications because the mass flow rate is independent of the downstream pressure, and depends only on the temperature and pressure and hence the density of the gas on the upstream side of the restriction. Under choked conditions, valves and calibrated orifice plates can be used to produce a desired mass flow rate."
    Thanks, I was specifically referring to the behavior of supersonic gasses, and the theory behind what causes them to slow down... or is that explained by the above and I'm just not getting it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The difference in "dwell time" between a 14.5" and a 16" (or even a 20") barrel is a fraction of a micro second.

If "dwell time" made a difference, suppressors would not affect carrier speeds. Suppressors increase carrier speed because they increase the amount of time it takes pressures in the bore to drop after the bullet exits. Gas operated rifle operate on residual pressure, the pressure in the bore after the bullet exits
    It's entirely possible for a variable to make a difference, but not be the only thing that makes a difference.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thanks, I was specifically referring to the behavior of supersonic gasses, and the theory behind what causes them to slow down... or is that explained by the above and I'm just not getting it?
    Supersonic and Subsonic flows react completely opposite when encountering nozzles, diffusers and orifices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compre..._Laval_nozzles

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Why rocksett?
    Just adds a little "glue" to hold it in place. The insert can only go so far IN or OUT anyway. I'm just anal about things.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    No need to overthink things.

In our experience, the insertable ports flow very similarly to the equal size barrel port.

You may get some variations in gas drive with different barrels, but most of those differences can be attributed to variations in bore diameter and gas block/gas tube leaks.

The size of the existing barrel port does not change the required insert size.

Given the relevent application parameters, we can recommend a size that works nicely on the first try better than 90% of the time.
    Yeah, due to the early unlocking relative to longer barrels and gas system lengths, I suspect chamber dimensions may play a larger role in SBRs than in their​ bigger brothers.

Regarding Mark's observations on SBRs, I've found that as well that each barrel is its own animal to a degree when dealing with different manufacturers, even quality ones.

I think this is where it is critical to have a properly bored 556 NATO chamber for an SBR.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Regarding Mark's observations on SBRs, I've found that as well that each barrel is its own animal to a degree when dealing with different manufacturers, even quality ones.

I think this is where it is critical to have a properly bored 556 NATO chamber for an SBR.
    Yep. None of the guns we've messed with are problematic. We can just observe recoil impulse variances when jumping from gun to gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Supersonic and Subsonic flows react completely opposite when encountering nozzles, diffusers and orifices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compre..._Laval_nozzles

Good stuff thanks!

Feedback Score
    Surprised I haven't seen gunsmiths offering to 'comp' a barrel by drilling holes at the end to reduce gas. Easier than chopping and you don't have to re crown and thread

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    WAY better heat tolerance than Loctite, if you were wondering why a threadlocker.
    Right. But there is no way for the port to come out?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Additional question. Is it possible for a port to be welded and redrilled with no detrimental effects?

Full disclosure I dont know sciency engineering stuff lol

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast