Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or Glock 34

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Glock 17 or Glock 34

So I am looking at picking up a GEN 4 Glock 17 or 34, but I'm not 100% sold on the benefit of the 34 over the 17. This will be a home defense/training/gun for classes. I know the 34 has a longer sight radius, thus increasing accuracy. But I hear that is a double edge sword as the longer slide is slower to draw from a holster and get on target with a proper sight picture. This will not be a competition gun. Thoughts and suggestions??? BTW I will also be buying a Glock 19 and Glock 26, Both of those will be CCW guns
    Last edited by Rohardi; 12-07-12 at 09:33.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
    BTW I will also be buying a Glock and Glock 26, Both of those will be CCW guns
    I am assuming you'll be buying 19 and 26? The number is missing.
    Anyway, if you're getting a compact and subcompact for concealment purposes, I don't see why not to go big in a large frame. In my personal opinion, 34 shoots flatter than 17.
    As far as speed, over 30% of shooters used 34 in recently held IDPA Nationals...

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Out of all the Glocks I've ever owned, the 34/35 have been my most favorite.

They're flat shooting, more accurate (At least in my hands) and conceal well. I've carried my 34 or 35 many times and have never had an issue with concealment. I'm not the quickest quick draw around but I've never suffered from the length of the pistol. Presentations are as fast with the 34 as they are with a 19.

I acquire the sights on my guns equally as fast across the board. Again, I'm not a pro, but I've never noticed a difference with sight acquisition from one length of slide to the next.

Personally I feel that the 34, while carrying, is more stable IWB due to its longer slide length.

I prefer fixed sights, standard slide release and standard trigger for my 34/35. If I wasn't so fixated on having a "collection" I'd be all in for nothing but the 34/35.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I have all the 9mm Glocks and here are my thoughts. If you're going to be carrying IWB just get a G19 and a good holster and belt. It will do everything you need in a package that you're most likely to actually carry. I'm sure there's someone out there who actually conceals a G34 and my hat goes off to them. However for most people, myself included, a G19 is a more realistic size.

The only time I would consider a G34 is if you're no shit going to have a weapon light (i.e. Surefire X300) attached all of the time. In that case the extra slide length of the G34 is essentially free, in terms of form factor, because of the length added by the flashlight. In that case you're also going to need a suitable holster which is basically going to be a kydex number molded you your setup. The whole package is going to be pretty big and awkward to carry day to day. If I was going to open carry or if I had a duty pistol this would be the setup I'd use.

A Glock 17 may be a good compromise if you're dead set against the G19. You could even have the grip cut down to a G19 size down the road.

Here's a picture I borrowed from someone else on the web:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The 17 or 34 will have an X300 on it full time. This will NOT be a CCW gun. It will have a raven consealment pantom LC and a Safariland ALS. This will not be a carry gun. I will have a 19 and 26 for that.

Feedback Score

Glock choice

For the uses you stated for your pistol (classes, home defense, etc.), one would be served just fine with the 19 you stated you are going to purchase for carry. Since you are going to have a 19 and desire another Glock (one can never have too many), I would make the jump to the larger size (34) over the 17. The difference you would see between the 19 and 17 would probably be minimal. I shot a G35 in mulitple courses and never found an issue with drawing the pistol due to the longer slide/barrel. I did however notice a great difference in the felt recoil (resulting in faster splits) and overall accuracy of the 35 over the Glock 22. While this is a different cal., I imagine the results would be mirrored with the 9mm pistols. You won't be sorry with either, but I would go with a Glock 34.......then buy a 17 down the line to finish off the 9mm collection!

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    if you think they are worth the extra cost over a 17 then enjoy.
    Last edited by black22rifle; 12-07-12 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
    The 17 or 34 will have an X300 on it full time. This will NOT be a CCW gun. It will have a raven consealment pantom LC and a Safariland ALS. This will not be a carry gun. I will have a 19 and 26 for that.
    If this is the case, I would go 34. I have a 17 and a 34. I carry the 17, but the 34/X300 goes to rifle classes or sits by the bed.

The longer slide of the 34 means that there is no fouling on the lens of the X300, even after hundreds of rounds. Two mags on my 17 and the lens is fouled.

The other nice thing is that the holsters will work with the shorter guns, even if you have threaded barrels on them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 17s and 34s and like them both. The 34 has a balance and overall feel to it that is particularly agreeable. The added weight out front helps it settle back in a little quicker than the 17 (or 19), though I can't quantify it with a split for you. Added sight radius is a plus. The added length and balance of the 34 lends itself well to a mounted light.

The 17 isn't lacking anything, but the 34 has these attributes that make it worth a look.

If you shoot low end or lightly impulsed ammo, verify function. Some samples can be quirky. The slide is relieved to reduce mass to near G17 levels, but it's still a different upper and behavior.

One of mine, which eats whatever I feed it and is far more inherently accurate than I...

2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The 34 will compliment the 19 and 26 better than the 17. It doesn't shoot any better for me.

I'd look at a gen4 21 based on your criteria.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast