Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Country or City, Carry or Stash?

Feedback Score

Country or City, Carry or Stash?

I lived in the city for some time after living in the country as a kid. I moved back to the country after my brother was murdered, I just couldn't see living in a place that was supposedly safer with a large police force. I'm not knocking the police mind you, the extreme manhunt they performed to catch the scum that shot my brother was exemplary. I don't know if they looked so hard because he was a soldier on leave, and I don't care if that was their reason. They did a great job. I can't thank them enough.

My questions are:

1. Do you live in the Country or City?

2. Did you move to either because you thought it was safer for you and your family?

3. In either place do you carry at home or stash firearms in strategic places(where you sit, areas of the house you are in the most)?

I'm just wondering what everybody else does when it comes to home defense. I don't have any small children so having stash spots is what works best for me ( I have a stainless .38 in my bathroom drawer, hey you are never more compromised!) Plus I have visitors(family) who might be alarmed and think I was crazy for carrying at home. I also like to keep a bolt action .22 mag by the door that I let my dogs out to go to the restroom. I learned this lesson after my american pittbull got sprayed by a skunk while killing it and my english mastiff got into it with the biggest groundhog I had ever seen(they are well fed around here?). She killed it but took some bites and scratches(glad she is up on her shots!) and 2 stiches. Maybe some better options are out there, I'm just trying to see if any exists.
    Appeasement is never the answer in the face of naked aggression.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm sorry about your brother.

I carry always. I keep a rifle in the master bedroom available when I'm home. I carry a handgun on me or occasionally set it nearby out of reach. I have another handgun in a quick safe in the bedroom.

I'm married and have a 7 and 3 year old.

I live in a city of roughly 400,000 now, but was born in LA then lived on the outskirts of Pittsburgh most of my life in both city and rural areas. Two years in Boston as well.

Had I decided to keep firearms put up in different locations, chances are I wouldn't be typing this. I walked out the front door to smoke and walked right into what was an attempted home invasion. The gun on me is what stopped it.

Jon
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Live in a rather an urban area and keep weapons on me and around the house where kids can't reach. Even have a couple Bersa pistols staged around. Home invasions and robberies happen all the time here. Two officers that live on my block keep their patrol cars parked on the side of the street or in the drive-way - doesn't make a difference.

If there was a place in the country for the same amount of cash, would have bought it for sure.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I currently live in a city with a population of a little less than one million and I hate it. I usually am carrying at home or have a pistol within easy reach. I desperately want to move out into the country somewhere, not necessarily because I think it's safer, but just because I hate being right up against so many other people.

OP I'm sorry to hear about your brother.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I live 15 mins outside of Phoenix so in the country somewhat. I didnt move here for safety I was able to find land at a good price and built my own home. It is close to work as well. I dont carry a gun on me at all times but always have one around the house. I probably should start to carry it more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I moved to the country 20 years ago so I could shoot and ride on my property whenever I want. Loaded rifle and pistol in the house and shotgun in the barn, you never know.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    It doesn't matter where you are. Bad things can happen.

Carry/be prepared as much as possible, keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel.

Feedback Score
    We live in a small town of about 15k an hour from a major metropolitan area. We moved here for my wife's career. I carry in the house most of the time, but also have long guns and handguns stashed as well. I also had our deadbolts on all exterior doors upgraded, had door reinforcers installed, along with stronger strikeplates with stronger screws on the door frames and longer heavier hinge screws, to reduce susceptibility to kicking. Installed storm doors on the two exterior doors lacking them. We installed motion sensor lighting around the rear and side of the house and have timer-controlled lighting along the front. We routinely keep the doors locked, and we pay attention to whether our windows are locked. We're careful about opening the door to strangers (we talk through the locked stormdoor).

I think money and time spent on deterring a would-be intruder, or on making his entry more challenging (requiring him to make more noise, create a higher visual signature, and take more time, thus increasing likelihood of being detected) is just as important a component of home security as firearms.

My condolences on your brother's death.
    Last edited by oldtexan; 02-12-13 at 20:07.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The town I live in is pretty small at 18000, but the metropolitan area has 2.5 million people (Miami-Dade County) and bad guys have cars. The FBI VS bank robber shootout that killed agents Grogan and Dove occured 1/4 mile from my home.

When I am awake, and clothed, I am carrying, and I have guns stashed also. We don't have kids and my wife knows her way around firearms so that is not a concern. My wife opened a little used, but accesible, drawer in the kitchen and said "hey, did you know there's a revolver in here"? I said "yes, I put it there".

There is a gun on the shelf behind me in my office and a shotgun in the bedroom in addition to the gun on my person.

My dogs are my best warning device and they are barking right now, but I can tell the neighbors just got home across the street. I know their barks well and right now they are not on full alert.

If I ever move to the country, I will still employ the practice of being armed and having stash guns. Thinking about teaching my dogs to shoot.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've lived in a small town, in a big city, and traveled extensively through both and everything in between. I've drawn a gun in self defense in a major league baseball stadium parking lot and outside a rural gas station. evil knows no bounds...
    Last edited by ra2bach; 02-12-13 at 20:45.
    never push a wrench...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast