Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or Glock 34

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post

I'd look at a gen4 21 based on your criteria.
    I'm selling my HK45 and switching to Glock and 9mm. 9mm much more cost effective to shoot...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My experience is that the G17 is the best pistol Glock makes. All others are modifications of the original design. The Glock 19 is a great gun but it is not as trouble free as the G17.
    Another sleeper is the G20 as it also is the original design same as the G 17.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Get the 34 for sure. Especially if you already have compact/sub compact models. It's my favorite of all glock models, very accurate. I carried mine for several years but recently picked up a 26 which is much more comfy for concealment. The 34 is my "go to" HD/nightstand pistol. Add a light and some tritium sights and call it a day.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    I think my perspective is going to be a little different from most. Get the G17. Why? Because it's closer to the G19 than the 34 is. If this is going to be your regular training and range gun then you will be able to equalize the proficiency you gain in all of your shooting to your CCW G19 easily. I was almost going to suggest just getting another G19 for this reason. Some may feel this isn't big deal. I feel those gains could save your life or prevent unintended consequences if you ever have to use your CCW.

If it were going to be a serious competition or match gun then I'd have said go with the 34. But I'm more pragmatic and prefer proficiency across fewer platforms, especially when it comes to CCW or self defense.

That's just my humble opinion. I offer it knowing that there are many on this board with a lot more experience than I have.
    -------
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nc_556 View Post
    I think my perspective is going to be a little different from most. Get the G17. Why? Because it's closer to the G19 than the 34 is. If this is going to be your regular training and range gun then you will be able to equalize the proficiency you gain in all of your shooting to your CCW G19 easily. I was almost going to suggest just getting another G19 for this reason. Some may feel this isn't big deal. I feel those gains could save your life or prevent unintended consequences if you ever have to use your CCW.

If it were going to be a serious competition or match gun then I'd have said go with the 34. But I'm more pragmatic and prefer proficiency across fewer platforms, especially when it comes to CCW or self defense.

That's just my humble opinion. I offer it knowing that there are many on this board with a lot more experience than I have.
    you bring up some very good points

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
    So I am looking at picking up a GEN 4 Glock 17 or 34, but I'm not 100% sold on the benefit of the 34 over the 17. This will be a home defense/training/gun for classes. I know the 34 has a longer sight radius, thus increasing accuracy. But I hear that is a double edge sword as the longer slide is slower to draw from a holster and get on target with a proper sight picture. This will not be a competition gun. Thoughts and suggestions??? BTW I will also be buying a Glock 19 and Glock 26, Both of those will be CCW guns
    If it isn't a competition gun go get the G17. My two cents with ported pistols is they are not the best thing to take to a training class if part of it is contact shooting. You and your face/bloody nose and teary eyes will know right away why.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G_M View Post
    If it isn't a competition gun go get the G17. My two cents with ported pistols is they are not the best thing to take to a training class if part of it is contact shooting. You and your face/bloody nose and teary eyes will know right away why.
    34 isn't ported. It has the cut out in the slide to reduce weight, but the barrel is not ported.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G_M View Post
    You and your face/bloody nose and teary eyes will know right away why.
    Have you experienced this with the Glocks?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Have you experienced this with the Glocks?
    I think G_M is under the impression that the 34 has a ported barrel and would make a mess

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Definitely a 34 if you will have at least a 19. I have a 19 and 17 and the difference isnt huge.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast