Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or Glock 34

Feedback Score
    Sorry maybe ported is the wrong word, but not sure what to call that opening on the top of the slide.

When I took a SouthNarc ECQC class I was thinking maybe I would have an issue with stuff coming up my nose with my G34 for certain shooting positions, I know someone else posted that in a SouthNarc course that they used a G19C and ended up with their nose and mouth bleeding..

-edit-
    Here is the link to the post.

Anyway something to think about, although the 19C does have a ported barrel and the 34 doesn't so could be nothing to worry about.

Last edited by G_M; 12-07-12 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G_M View Post
    Sorry maybe ported is the wrong word, but not sure what to call that opening on the top of the slide.

When I took a SouthNarc ECQC class I was thinking maybe I would have an issue with stuff coming up my nose with my G34 for certain shooting positions, I know someone else posted that in a SouthNarc course that they used a G19C and ended up with their nose and mouth bleeding..

-edit-
    Here is the link to the post.

Anyway something to think about, although the 19C does have a ported barrel and the 34 doesn't so could be nothing to worry about.
    [img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb4po4yh_6DtHFMSGUVOX3zQGoOosyWzBWOo4om74_xRaHyFby[/ig]
    [img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/3347033925_dafb3d2b00.jpg[/im]
    There's no porting on the 34 barrel. There is a hole cut in the slide of the 34 to reduce weight so it functions similarly to a 17.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The G34 has a cut out in the slide, but the barrel is not ported, so it is no different from a G17 or G19 or Beretta 92 for that matter when used in contact drills. I've done it myself at numerous courses.

If you already have a G19 and G26, I'd add the G34. Personally it is my favorite pistol due to the long sight radius and flat recoil. I suspect it is the most used pistol in IDPA for a reason and any speed tradeoff on the draw is minimal. Doesn't seem to slow down Vogel or Sevigny...

All that said, the differences between the G17 and G34 are really minimal at the end of the day. Either will serve well.
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Our dept issued the G35 same as the 34 except in 40SW. It was a PITA to carry every day. Every officer i worked with complained about it until the dept finally allowed us to pack a G22 or 23 as long as it was personally owned and we passed qualifying. Most officers,including myself, switched to the 22. It does not seem like that much of a difference but packing day in and day out their is a noticeable difference. The only advantage for the 34/35 series IMO is competition.
    OIF 2003-2004
    Deputy Sheriff/Private Investigator

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whick1 View Post
    Our dept issued the G35 same as the 34 except in 40SW. It was a PITA to carry every day. Every officer i worked with complained about it until the dept finally allowed us to pack a G22 or 23 as long as it was personally owned and we passed qualifying. Most officers,including myself, switched to the 22. It does not seem like that much of a difference but packing day in and day out their is a noticeable difference. The only advantage for the 34/35 series IMO is competition.
    What was a PITA about it, specifically?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    What was a PITA about it, specifically?

Yeah, this. I concealed a 34 for years on my small frame, 160lb body and you are complaining about holster carry?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    So I have made up my mind. I will be picking up a 34.

Feedback Score
    If you can handle them a bit that is the best option. I personally own all the various sizes from the 26/27 to the 34/35. Concealed I prefer the 19/23 and for general shooting I am a bit opposite in that I prefer the 17/22, even over the 34/35. But I am no Sevigny or Vogel either.

Feedback Score
    1- if you aren't competing with the gun.. then the 19/17 is a good idea.

2-if you are going to have a 19 and get another gun as well,I will jump to the 34.(see point 1)..

so in that case it would be better the 17.. and if sometimes you wanna compete , the 17 is good enough for games..

I have the 19 and 34 for uspsa/idpa...

there is not a big difference with the 34 unless you are shooting lower reloads, and the sight radius helps at 25+ yards shots..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In terms of pure shootability, as measured on times and accuracy on known drills, my Gen 4, Glock 34 is the single most shootable pistol I own. Interestingly, in terms of practical accuracy, I notice no difference between it and my P30/HK45 pistols, which speaks to the accuracy of the Gen 4 34.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast