Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 or Glock 34

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rohardi View Post
    ... I know the 34 has a longer sight radius, thus increasing accuracy. But I hear that is a double edge sword as the longer slide is slower to draw from a holster and get on target with a proper sight picture...
    If I can easily carry my Glock 35 I would. But as it is I used this model as my duty gun for years and I have never felt that it slowed down my presentations. For training I used my Glock 34 because of the less expensive ammo (prior to all this craziness, anyway).

For home defense my nightstand gun is my Glock 35 with TLR-1 light attached. If you are not planning on carrying this gun for concealment at all, I'd personally go with the Glock 34 over the Glock 17 (which I also own). But that's JM2CW.

The bottom line is you need to choose which one feels best in YOUR hands. This includes the ability to acquire and line up your sights. Good luck!!
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sorry if this is a stupid question; would it be a bad idea to cover the opening on a Glock 34 with duct take or something similar?
    Justin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chingoton13 View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question; would it be a bad idea to cover the opening on a Glock 34 with duct take or something similar?
    If the duct tape came loose it could block your front sight. It could also block your field of view not letting you see the target. It could prevent reholstering if it gets bunched up.

Glock 34 for competition and playing on the range.
    Glock 17 for duty/go to war.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The opening in the slide is a non-issue.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chingoton13 View Post
    I see 34s and 35s shoot every week. Lots of times idiots are shooting 'em. I've NEVER seen the hole cause a problem.

It doesn't bother anything on the Beretta either...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Re: Glock 17 or Glock 34

Thanks for the replies.
    Justin

Feedback Score
    If your not competing with it I would go with the 17 as it will be a little easier to draw.
    The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord. -Proverbs 21:31

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The opening in the slide is a non-issue.
    I know it is in 99% of situations but I do have a concern if I was fghting for my gun and it got dropped in the slow if it would fire with snow and or mud crammed in the hole. Another reason I like the 17 over the 34 is when a weapon light mount is attached its a perfect stand off device so in a tight situation I can just push the gun into the attacker and pull the trigger without having to worry about pushing the gun out of battery. On the 34 the slide is longer and this does not work.
    Just my opinion.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I know it is in 99% of situations but I do have a concern if I was fghting for my gun and it got dropped in the slow if it would fire with snow and or mud crammed in the hole. Another reason I like the 17 over the 34 is when a weapon light mount is attached its a perfect stand off device so in a tight situation I can just push the gun into the attacker and pull the trigger without having to worry about pushing the gun out of battery. On the 34 the slide is longer and this does not work.
    Just my opinion.
    Pat
    My concern as well about the stand off. I had a situation where only one round was fired due to contact on the handgun.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Given that Grant gets a bit of his gun info from Ken, I'd say your guess about story being the same is right.
    A long-time G35 user checked his with a dime and said that the dime wouldn't make it inside the slide due to larger OD of 0.40SW barrel. It would be interesting to see if others can confirm that.
    I'll keep my opinion about carrying a full sized gun in a pocket to myself, other than noting that one needs a freaking big pocket to carry G34/G35.
    As far as dedicating G34/G35 to a nightstand use, I have a different take. A quick look on my nightstand reveals a lot of crap, including coins, paper, pens and their plastic covers etc, in a relatively close proximity to where my gun goes. On the other hand, a trip down memory lane fails to recall any instances of me finding anything that didn't belong there inside my holsters.
    Of course, YNMV, as in your nightstand may vary.
    I have used different Glocks with X300 for that role but I keep them in a kydex holster for that purpose.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast