Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt LE6900 Light Carbine?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I handled one at a gunshow last weekend. It felt like a DPMS rifle. I was kind of embarrassed for Colt.
    Kiowa pilot turned Hooker.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j0ey2 View Post
    The rifle is built, and possibly designed by Anderson Mftg for Colt. I paid 1300, sold it for 1500, and bought a real 6940 for MSRP and will be buying optics, grip pod, and a laser sight too. Any suggestions on budget optics/lasers?

Assuming what they told you is accurate, it's got to be due to a combination of the new upper configuration as well as the 1x8. They probably figured that the cost to purchase and implement the new machinery for just one model wasn't worth it, so they subbed it out.

Why they wouldn't have had Anderson make them and them ship them to Colt for installation on their lowers with their BCGs is another question, this again assuming they are also non-Colt as speculated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Assuming what they told you is accurate, it's got to be due to a combination of the new upper configuration as well as the 1x8. They probably figured that the cost to purchase and implement the new machinery for just one model wasn't worth it, so they subbed it out.

Why they wouldn't have had Anderson make them and them ship them to Colt for installation on their lowers with their BCGs is another question, this again assuming they are also non-Colt as speculated.
    Straight from the horses mouth. After a 40 minute hold to talk to this moody rep, I still had him repeat everything back to me twice. I shared my "I overpaid for a fake colt" concern, and I probed in order to give him any opportunity to claim SOME of this gun but he didn't. He first said it was made for Colt by "another manufacturer". I had to press him just to get Anderson out of him. Anderson's m4 carbine with a 1-8 barrel is here, maybe a trained eye will see some family resemblance.

http://www.andersonrifles.net/index....l#.UU3MfBLKh8E

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I handled both an anderson rifle and a 6900 today at a LGS (not one I usually go to and both were overpriced, unlike my favorite gun store which has maintained his pricing).

I don't know who makes the rifle. But as to me as competition to the S&W sport when prices get back down (around 800) not a bad rifle for what it is I guess although not the range of rifle I usually shop for.

They made be made by anderson as others have indicated but there are some very significant differences.

No rf85
    Different barrel markings
    No Integrated trigger guard on the anderson (so different lower)
    Different forgers
    No M4 cuts on the anderson
    Semi auto carrier in the anderson
    Anderson rolled roll mark Colt engraved
    Different low pro gas blocks

Feedback Score
    Are they really not even staking the castle nut?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Who at Colt needs to be slapped for this decision?

Really...firearm companies have got to stop hiring these ex-Kimber guys.

Feedback Score
    It's not traditional but if you are in business you either adapt or die. For those who want the real deal spend the extra money and get the real thing. For those who will be happy punching holes in paper or an occasional coyote this could be the entry into the AR-15 game. Get them addicted then move them up to a better option.

My bet is Colt will make enough of them to attract the entry level crowd but there will plenty of the 6920's to go around. kwg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This was no need on Colt's part. Not every market is worth joining.

Colt has occupied the "high ground" in the AR market, and become a marque to which savvy AR owners aspire. It's not the most "Gucci" of AR brands....but nobody will laugh at your choice if you bring a 6920 to the party.

If the MSRP of a 6920 was $2k, the need for a sub $1k gun might be understandable. However, even at that, it would be better to spin off another brand name, and preserve the integrity of your core offering. Now the market will have people bragging about how they got a "real-deal Colt" for $800. Unfortunately, I'm guessing the 6900s will not live up to the reputation earned by the 6920/6720 platforms. If that's the case, instead of recruiting people to the standard, it'll create a pool of people who ignorantly proclaim "I bought me a Colt 'cause I heard they were the best...and mine sucked."

When you're selling everything you make, I'm not sure that you need to branch out into new product lines and market segments. Perhaps the additional resources could've been better used to make more of what's made you great.

Maybe there's a reason BMW isn't looking to offer a Kia competitor.

Feedback Score
    Personally I always liked the Rolex/Tudor approach ; retain the premium name for your top of the line products and then go with a different name for your bargain line

That way you don't tarnish the hard earned reputation of the name brand with the less quality and lesser price point of the 'value line'

In my mind, and maybe I am screwed up, it leads to the ' I can't believe they did this - maybe this means all their stuff is going downhill' to ' well why would I pay more for different model when it has the same name on it'

This way buyers know you are not paying the same, nor are you getting same level of quality - you get what you pay for

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Personally I always liked the Rolex/Omega approach ; retain the premium name for your top of the line products and then go with a different name for your bargain line

Tudor would have fit that description!

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast