Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt LE6900 Light Carbine?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Maybe there's a reason BMW isn't looking to offer a Kia competitor
    After seeing the Colt 6900 light, I think you are insulting Kia!

Feedback Score
    Thanx Gun - I slipped up and listed Omega instead of Tudor

I fixed it

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Personally I always liked the Rolex/Tudor approach ; retain the premium name for your top of the line products and then go with a different name for your bargain line

That way you don't tarnish the hard earned reputation of the name brand with the less quality and lesser price point of the 'value line'

In my mind, and maybe I am screwed up, it leads to the ' I can't believe they did this - maybe this means all their stuff is going downhill' to ' well why would I pay more for different model when it has the same name on it'

This way buyers know you are not paying the same, nor are you getting same level of quality - you get what you pay for
    Agreed. I have worked in the custom wood boat industry for years. I have seen several attempts by wooden boat builders to bring a cheaper fiberglass version of their product to market. When people can no longer easily discern the higher quality version from the lower quality, the value of the brand name is diminished.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Larry,

I agree with you. We were just discussing this last week and with the shortage of materials and carbines I am shocked that Colt released this abomination.

I would much rather see them focus time and energy on getting complete carbines and parts into the market place as opposed to some nitwit approach to building an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    Personally I always liked the Rolex/Tudor approach ; retain the premium name for your top of the line products and then go with a different name for your bargain line

That way you don't tarnish the hard earned reputation of the name brand with the less quality and lesser price point of the 'value line'

In my mind, and maybe I am screwed up, it leads to the ' I can't believe they did this - maybe this means all their stuff is going downhill' to ' well why would I pay more for different model when it has the same name on it'

This way buyers know you are not paying the same, nor are you getting same level of quality - you get what you pay for

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like an excellent reason to blow through a pallet of ammo... 6900 vs 6920

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The one thing that gets me is the M203 cuts in the barrel. You make a "budget line" carbine, but add an additional process to the barrel in which 99% of the population will never need or use which makes it a bit more expensive overall.

Or am I off base as to the added cost of chucking it on a lathe and milling them out?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    The one thing that gets me is the M203 cuts in the barrel. You make a "budget line" carbine, but add an additional process to the barrel in which 99% of the population will never need or use which makes it a bit more expensive overall.

Or am I off base as to the added cost of chucking it on a lathe and milling them out?
    Colt has a truck load of M4 profiled barrels. So it is the easiest barrel for them to use.

This is a Commercial made gun (not Defense). So no Colt Defense capabilities are being wasted (to my knowledge).

IMHO, at $900 dollars (what we sell them at), I would take this gun over a BM, RRA, DPMS, etc.

YMMV

C4

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt has a truck load of M4 profiled barrels. So it is the easiest barrel for them to use.

This is a Commercial made gun (not Defense). So no Colt Defense capabilities are being wasted (to my knowledge).

IMHO, at $900 dollars (what we sell them at), I would take this gun over a BM, RRA, DPMS, etc.

YMMV

C4
    Understand that, but with a 1/8 twist, I wonder if this is even a Colt barrel or ??? Doesn't appear to be marked like a Colt barrel, so special run maybe? Bench stock aside, wondering why they would toss the 203 cuts on a commercial gun that can't even support the 203 platform without removal and replacement of that handguard. This rifle doesn't seem designed for the .mil and LEO crowd so even if Colt has a metric butt ton of barrels in stock, I would assume the majority are 1/7 twist meaning I would also assume this is a new production barrel specifically for this carbine. More of a curiosity on my part as I'm relatively set on ARs and really have no intention of buying. Just seems like excess work to me if you are trying to save a buck or two in the process

At $900 it's a good deal for the dirt clod crowd as others have said. And it appears Colt has finally started to see there is a market for a decent quality rifle for the 300 rounds a year crowd the S&W has been courting with the M&P Sport for a few years now. And RRA, BM, Stag, DPMS, Windham, etc. So finally getting up to speed on the commercial market should be helpful for them in the long run.

And waiting on a Colt middy...and waiting...and waiting...
    Last edited by Grand58742; 03-27-13 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    YMMV
    C4
    I would gladly take a S&W Sport with the 1/8 melonite barrel over this! At least on the S&W the castle nut and gas key are staked properly, it has a pinned front sight post, real handguard, medium-ish contour barrel, no M203 cut, etc.

This Colt just makes me feel bad for Colt. I don't want to do things that make me feel bad

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    I would gladly take a S&W Sport with the 1/8 melonite barrel over this! At least on the S&W the castle nut and gas key are staked properly, it has a pinned front sight post, real handguard, medium-ish contour barrel, no M203 cut, etc.

This Colt just makes me feel bad for Colt. I don't want to do things that make me feel bad
    Just as an FYI, S&W NO LONGER uses a 1/8 5R barrel for the SPORT. They now use a standard barrel in a 1/9 twist (made the change earlier this year).

The 1/8 5R barrels are now reserved for the Magpul and VTAC rifles.

C4

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast