Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt LE6900 Light Carbine?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Just as an FYI, S&W NO LONGER uses a 1/8 5R barrel for the SPORT. They now use a standard barrel in a 1/9 twist (made the change earlier this year).
    The 1/8 5R barrels are now reserved for the Magpul and VTAC rifles.
    C4
    Yea, I was aware of that. Just supposing we could talk old stock. Although... given equally shitty barrels, I have to take the S&W Sport for 700-800 (the price it should be) with it's pinned sight and correct staking over this "COLT" for $900+

I know you have to sell them, and they will sell I'm sure. Just not to anyone with half a clue about what it is. Because it sure as hell is not a Colt.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Yea, I was aware of that. Just supposing we could talk old stock. Although... given equally shitty barrels, I have to take the S&W Sport for 700-800 (the price it should be) with it's pinned sight and correct staking over this "COLT" for $900+

I know you have to sell them, and they will sell I'm sure. Just not to anyone with half a clue about what it is. Because it sure as hell is not a Colt.
    Personally, I do not think EITHER barrel is "shitty." In fact, you were wanting more accuracy, these melonited barrels are a good choice I think.

In regards to staking, S&W "mails it in" in regards to the castle nut. So IMHO, BOTH the SPORT and LE6900 need to have the castle nut staked.

The carrier key is staked fine on both guns.

If I could, I would have a shop FULL of SPORT's and LE6900's. Why? Because people buy them. With that said, people are better off buying a regular Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske, etc.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 03-27-13 at 12:52.

Feedback Score
    I see nothing wrong with the rifle. Colt is a business. They have made a move to market this rifle to a larger group of people with this rifle at a lower price point.

If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else.
    Last edited by kcara; 03-27-13 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kcara View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the rifle. Colt is a business. They have made a move to market this rifle to a larger group of people with this rifle at a lower price point.

If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else.
    THIS..

As a Colt gun owner, I don't give a damn what they sell at the bottom as long as the top continues to be first class.
    NAVY

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZINCOGNITO View Post
    THIS..

As a Colt gun owner, I don't give a damn what they sell at the bottom as long as the top continues to be first class.
    I agree 100%. Colt saw a need to address the entry level crowd and saw fit to do it with this offering. While it doesn't appeal to 99% of the users of this Forum. I'm sure Joe public and others who haven't served in military/LEO crowd will appreciate the 6900 for what it is a Low cost Colt.
    Army Veteran , Lifetime NRA Member,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZINCOGNITO View Post
    THIS..

An, not exactly framiliar with "race to the bottom" huh?

If Colt starts selling rifles that are subcontractor specials... what do you think Walmart/retail chains are going to buy the 6900 or the 6920? Do you think most people will really know the difference between the two? Do you consider that right now, DD/LMT/whoever may be watching this and considering a lite model too? There is a finite number of AR buyers, instead of educating and marketing to get quality rifles in hands, the focus becomes just getting "something" out there. This could mean enlarging the market over time and it can mean less top-tier models are sold.

You know what happens when less of the top tier models are sold and not made in high quantities? Price goes up. So there are a million variables here, but the correct response to loosing sales to a SW Sport style gun is good marketing not racing to the bottom of the feature pool. But whatever, Colt I'm sure has some smart people calling the shots.

Point is, even if you don't buy one of these "Colt"s this could effect you.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    At the risk of being overly philosophical, companies, just like people, should exercise due caution regarding that to which they sign their name.

When you occupy the enviable position of being the standard to which others aspire, the last thing you should do is drop your standards. When everybody wants to talk about how their rifle is "every bit as good as a Colt," Colt does not need to turn around and offer a rifle that's quite possibly "every bit as good as a sportical."

As I mentioned before, spinning off another brand would have been a great way for Colt to reap the dollars in this exercise, without sacrificing what it means to have the prancing pony roll-marked on your weapon. Of course, the market appeal of a non-Colt rifle would not have been as great. On the other hand, they also would not have mortgaged their brand-reputation for a few extra dollars.

This is America, and unfortunately, crap sells. I recall being a young-pup paintballer and seeing stacks of $99 Stingray paintball guns at my favorite local dealer. This dealer had formerly refused to carry them, because he knew them for what they were. Nonetheless, he could not resist stocking the, because the people who came in to buy those would also usually buy at least another $100 of high profit-margin accessories at the same time. Had he not had the guns, he'd have also missed the chance to sell the accessories. Never mind that in a given week, at least 5 were always packed up to go back to the factory for repair or replacement. Those guns sucked out loud.

It's somewhat sad to see what were formerly some of the great "professional's choice" firearm names (Sig and Colt) drifting (or in the case of Sig, sprinting) towards being marketing-oriented consumer products companies. It's understandable that they're in it for the money, but some of us would almost rather deal with HK's "because you suck and we hate you" approach, rather than the "Hey, we'll make that gun in rainbow diamond-plate with Care Bear grips if it'll sell" strategy.

Feedback Score

If Colt starts selling rifles that are subcontractor specials... what do you think Walmart/retail chains are going to buy the 6900 or the 6920? Do you think most people will really know the difference between the two? Do you consider that right now, DD/LMT/whoever may be watching this and considering a lite model too? There is a finite number of AR buyers, instead of educating and marketing to get quality rifles in hands, the focus becomes just getting "something" out there. This could mean enlarging the market over time and it can mean less top-tier models are sold.

You know what happens when less of the top tier models are sold and not made in high quantities? Price goes up. So there are a million variables here, but the correct response to loosing sales to a SW Sport style gun is good marketing not racing to the bottom of the feature pool. But whatever, Colt I'm sure has some smart people calling the shots.

The AR market has been expanding each year. Yes, the 6920 is the a better rifle, but not everyone will shoot it or use it like a soldier or a police officer.

All AR prices are up. This is the new normal. I will trust that Colt will monitor their numbers on all sales of all of their guns. They are a business and until this model is proved to be a piece of crap, I will trust that it is a solid lower end product from a great manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    At the risk of being overly philosophical, companies, just like people, should exercise due caution regarding that to which they sign their name... When everybody wants to talk about how their rifle is "every bit as good as a Colt," Colt does not need to turn around and offer a rifle that's quite possibly "every bit as good as a sportical."
    Until I see some actual in-depth owner reviews, I'll reserve my judgement about this rifle. But, then again, I could just rush to judgement.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Look at it in terms of cars. This 6900 is like the Ford Focus of the AR world while the 6920 is a Mustang GT500. Comparably, the S&W Sport is like the Dodge Dart and the M&P VTAC is the Challenger SRT8. The lower end vehicles are solid, inexpensive cars that get you to and from work but not built for high performance. I believe someone at Colt finally got the idea they were being undersold by S&W, DPMS, et al with a "bargain" line of rifles and came up with this. DPMS and S&W forged into this market with the Sportical and Sport respectively so it's becoming a slightly mainstream idea. And let's face it, Colt doesn't/hasn't sold a mid to low end rifle before so this is a first iteration of a potential series. Not everyone needs a 6920 for heading out on the weekend and plinking at Mountain Dew bottles and old appliances. And furthermore, even before the market went slightly insane last fall, AR rifles were in demand and the inexpensive lines were selling just as fast or faster than the "premium" models.

So, still on the car reference, does Ford stop building Mustangs because more people buy the Focus? No, they are just built at a slower rate and comparably, people that know better spend more for performance. So will the price on 6920s go up? I doubt it as those that know will still pay for performance and spend the extra dollars. Nobody questions for a moment the price point on Noveske or Larue as you pay for what you get and those that know quality pay for quality. But let's face it, some folks are constrained by budgets and given the choice between a 6920 at $1000 or so and a reputable M&P Sport at $650 when on a budget...which would they chose.

You can educate the public all day long about how great the 6920 is, Free World's Rifle, Colts are the AR industry standard, blah, blah, blah, but at the end of the day, Joe Q. Public is still looking at a $1000 6920 next to a $650 Sport and saying "Smith and Wesson is also a name I recognize that's been in business for a long time and I heard they are good quality..."

Difference as I see it that Colt has finally realized not everyone needs, wants or, first and foremost, can afford a GT500 for a daily drive to work and will settle for a Focus instead. Oh, sure, we'd sure love to drive that Mustang every day with the top down with the Doublemint Twins in the passenger seats, then reality slaps us in the face. So placing the Colt name on a less expensive model of AR makes good financial sense. People can pay for the Colt name with a price point that's comparable to S&W and this makes for a good retail decision.
    Last edited by Grand58742; 03-28-13 at 10:56.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast