Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy....saying hi and showing you guys my first build

Feedback Score

New guy....saying hi and showing you guys my first build

Hi, guys semi longtime lurker here, I have been researching alot to answer questions about my first ar-15 build. I work in armed private security (glorified rent-a-cop) contracting and this rifle is one of my duty weapons. I work mostly at night in decently to well lit parking lots most of them are clubs with that have a high volume of patrons so I built this rifle accordingly. Most of the clubs I work at are pretty crappy and have alot of incidents (shootings, crowds starting fights, cars trying to run people over, sexual assaults, and other things of the like) our local pd is some what short handed so we dont always get back up as fast as we need to so my boss put out at our last meeting that he wanted us to be more self reliant to an extent.......well enough about me soooooo here's the goods:

Upper (to include accessories)-
    Palmetto state armory flat top
    -1:7 twist
    -5.56 Chamber
    -M4 profle
    -T-marks
    -F-marker front site post
    -M4 feed ramps
    -Vortex strikefire(came with the upper)
    -Magpul MBUS
    -RRA charging handle
    -Magpul MOE handgaurd
    -Surefire Millennium series 6v with pelican tape switch
    -lots of velcro so i can position the switch anywhere i want (i had to cut a corner on something it wouldn't be me if i didn't)
    - Magpul AFG2
    -Failzero EXO M16 BCG
    -AAC Blackout flash hider

Lower-
    -S&W M&P 15
    -Palmetto state armory lower parts kit
    -Magpul ASAP plate
    -Magpul MS3 sling
    -Magpul MOE stock
    -Heavy buffer
    -Magpul MOE grip
    -Failzero EXO Hammer

oh yea........and a bunch of pmags......in FDE of course.....bc everytime i buy a black pmag they divorce my rifle grow legs and get married to my dads AR-15

well there it is..........let me know what you guys think, from what I have read on this forum this place seems to be the most "rookie friendly" out of the AR/M4 forums on the web so let me know what you guys think

P.S. I also built this rifle on a budget too guys Im thoroughly pleased with the results, have yet to shoot it, range day is my next day off Ill post pics of the target when I get a chance to put some lead down range.

Attachment 14472

Attachment 14473

Attachment 14474
    Last edited by Newbie_rookie_newguy; 12-11-12 at 00:03.

Feedback Score
    delete
    Last edited by gin828; 12-11-12 at 05:41.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82447

Please explain your level of experience with the AR-15 and how this affected the decision you've made on the parts for this build.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    Ok Ill just delete it then. Thought this was the custom build area? Guess I was wrong. Just wanted to introduce myself and show my first build that I just finished today. Don't understand why i would get flamed?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Relax.
    Don't feed the trolls.

Read the sticky threads for the custom build forum.
    Then follow accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    I did read the stickies, its all good tho. It was my first post on this forum so i figured i would introduce myself at the same time, but anyway what do you think of the build? I actually pieced the lower together i was going to build the upper but the deal I found on it was too good to pass up and it allowed me to find everything i wanted in a rifle and stay within my budget. the only thing I didnt get out of the upper was that i would have preferred a 1/8 twist and mid-length gas system, but i can always switch the barrel out i have all the tools to do that.

Feedback Score
    For the most part my experience is limited to what I have read. Im one of those guys that gets board and surfs the internet just reading about things Im interested in, I learned how to put the lower together via youtube. ITS tactical's assemble your own ar-15 videos were a HUGE help. I must have lost the pivot pin detent and spring about 6 times and on light colored carpet I spent half the night looking for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_rookie_newguy View Post
    I must have lost the pivot pin detent and spring about 6 times and on light colored carpet I spent half the night looking for it.
    The "cure" for "traveling parts" is a sheet of white material, I use old bed sheets from a resale shop. (cost is about a buck)

Secure the sheet under the leading edge of your bench and tie it around your neck like a bib.

Years ago, when I first started smithing this helped save me hours of "hands and knees search and rescue".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ya know, the white sheet idea sounds pretty good! Another way to prevent detent pins from flying off to parts unkown is to assemble them inside a real large clear plastic baggie.

Newbie, what you need to do now is go shoot your carbine and since you're using it at work, it's imperative you get a carbine class or three under your belt.

Welcome to the forums. It can sometimes be a rough ride, so get in, buckle up and hang on! If you can get past that, it's a good place to learn about ARs

PS- I am familiar with Killeen. Lots of GIs as it's right outside the gates of Ft. Hood. I worked on Apaches as a contractor for a couple of years
    Last edited by MistWolf; 12-11-12 at 11:26.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One thing I use a lot is a large clear tupperware bin turned over on top of the gun when stripping guns that will inevitably have springs trying to locate my eye at a high rate of speed.

It makes it a little harder to see, but it sure does help keeping things where you can find them.

Oh, and buy a nice strong magnet just in case something gets on the carpet.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast