Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Piece by piece

Feedback Score
    So first off I appreciate the information that some of you guys provided as I listen to all of it, some I will use and some I will discard.
    You didn't run me off. After being overseas I have a pretty thick skin. I just needed to head to bed and go to work today.
    This will be my one and only AR. Therefore I can't see any sense in buying assembly tools for just one build. Also I'm not into having 30 different kinds of guns. It's just not my hobby, I have other hobbies that I find enjoyment with.
    The last AR I had was Army issued so when you guys talk about the trigger breaking a certain way and a middy having a milder recoil. It is all foreign to me as I have never shot a "quality" AR. I just know what I used to keep me alive.
    My other hobbies are ones that I can share with my wife which is why I care about where my money goes, otherwise I would just drop 1500 on one and then more money on hardware I like.
    To me it makes sense to do as one gentleman suggested to buy a stripped version and add the hardware I like. I like that idea. Now If I were to do that, what would be your suggestions as to the make and model of the lower and upper?

Also if there is anyone in the Phoenix area that wouldn't mind letting me tag along to a range I would be more than happy to spring for some ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlock1 View Post
    Ok so a little advice is needed and I am turning to the experts.
    I've been doing a lot of reading and realize that I am way over my head so I will try and make this easy.
    I will be taking it to the range, combat drills, and SHTF weapon. No competition or anything like that, just dependable.
    The real problem is I can't spend 1000+ dollars and start replacing parts, it seems like a waste.
    What I would like to do is buy a good lower, find some hardware I like and then put a good upper on it.
    Plus its easier to get the approval with the wife with spending smaller amounts especially with all the other toys.
    Thanks in advance guys.
    You listed your requirements for the rifle, which is pretty much the requirements of a lot of people getting into the AR system. The problem isn't that you can't spend $1000, the problem is you won't spend $1050-$1150. Getting an AR in the $850-$950 range is OK, but $1050-$1150 is out of the question? Really, seriously? You're limiting yourself over a measly $200? You can get a Colt 6920 right now that will fulfill your requirements to a T and then some. Make some sacrifice and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    [IMG]http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/attachments/f25/7844d1332730126-wts-bnib-colt-le6920-6920.jpg[IMG]

Colt 6920 comes out the box......ready to rock.

Grant sold out fast...probably because the end of the world is next week. Check Walmart Tactical.
    Grant still has Colt 6920s in stock, if you get the magpul furniture

$1,099 + $30 shipping/handling = $1,129 for one of the best there is.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ey=LE6920MP-od

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    Hm,

looks like M4C lost another member.
    If your a "member", and have read any threads at all on here, then you would have never offered that advice. Don't get your panties in a wad and get offended. Instead read, learn and absorb some of the knowledge and advice from Members who don't want you and others going down that long road, that through much trial , error and cash, eventually leads to a quality, mil-spec firearm.

Feedback Score
    18 (91%)
    Please do not buy a polymer lower. Call grant at G&R and get you a bcm lower for $360.
    rcsperformanceonline.com

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNSLINGER733 View Post
    Please do not buy a polymer lower. Call grant at G&R and get you a bcm lower for $360.
    Agreed! I picked one up from Grant and picked up a nib BCM BCG from a member here in th EE for $110. If the funds don't allow for the purchase of a quality complete rifle, get a quality lower first and save for a quality upper to attach it to when the funds become available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Grant still has Colt 6920s in stock, if you get the magpul furniture

$1,099 + $30 shipping/handling = $1,129 for one of the best there is.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ey=LE6920MP-od
    I would say that this is probably the best thing going right now. Even more so if you want it "right now". You dont need to add anything except ammo.

The problem with building a rifle piecemeal (especially given the events of this past week) is availability of quality parts. You could be waiting quite a while for the in demand parts like BCGs, LPKs, etc from reputable manufacturers. When they do come back in stock they are gone within hours.

The days of loading up your cart and comparing prices, specs, reviews, and waiting on the best price are over. Make a short, quality list (BCM, DD, Colt, etc) and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as that "back in stock" email gets to you.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GMZ View Post
    I would say that this is probably the best thing going right now. Even more so if you want it "right now". You dont need to add anything except ammo.

The problem with building a rifle piecemeal (especially given the events of this past week) is availability of quality parts. You could be waiting quite a while for the in demand parts like BCGs, LPKs, etc from reputable manufacturers. When they do come back in stock they are gone within hours.

The days of loading up your cart and comparing prices, specs, reviews, and waiting on the best price are over. Make a short, quality list (BCM, DD, Colt, etc) and be ready to pull the trigger as soon as that "back in stock" email gets to you.
    Yes.

Except the BCG don't last hours, they last a few minutes.

Feedback Score

This was built (or put together rather) for a total of $1,185 after shipping charges and what not. i could have shaved about $200 not getting the extra goodies and ordering a lot of the parts from the same place once,but, i was doing it in stages as you seem to be. Grtactical, Bcm, and a ottofirearms pretty much build this entire rifle except for the castle nut. i used a mega lower and dd parts kit. i think the rest can speak for itself.

as others have said, look to the EE and search for deals. there are a lot out there if you're patient.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    There is a BCM BCG on eBay now for 305.00. Get 'em while you can.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast