Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first deer

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My first deer

I shot my frst deer a couple weeks ago. I have some avid hunters in my family but they dont live near me. So now that Im an adult Im learning the ropes.

I flew out to Oklahoma the opening week of deer rifle season. Got to my uncle's property, he lives on 90 acres in southwest OK, late in the afternoon. The next morning I walked out to the tree stand before dawn. As I got near the stand I could hear deer out in the field next to me. I slowly got into the stand and could barely see three deer in the field. As the sun rose I saw that all three were bucks and that two of them were fighting.

After the two were done fighting I chose the bigger one and shot him at around 70 yards. Shot wasnt all that great though. The buck was quartering towards me showing his chest and a slim profile of the left side of his body. I aimed just to the left of his front left shoulder (which would put the exit wound around the rear of the ribs on his right side) and fired.

I yanked the shot a bit right. I would like to say that the scope had been bumped or something but Im pretty sure it was all me. It was a brisk morning in the low 20s and I had just come from Phoenix where our lows were in the upper 50s. Anyways I ended up hitting the dear directly in the shoulder. He ran about 40-50 yards and collapsed.

Deer weighed around 170 pounds and had a 9 point rack. Nothing great but he is my first. Rifle is a Ruger No1 in 7mm Mag.

Ill post the carnage pick in the Picture thread. Its pretty gruesome. 7 Mag might be just a little bit overkill for a whitetail.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 12-15-12 at 21:02. Reason: spelling
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    No such thing as overkill! Nice shot and congrats on your first deer that's a nice buck.

Feedback Score
    That should be the best tasting venison you have ever eaten.

Congratulations!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Don't talk yourself down, bro. That is a great deer. Congrats!
    Hang up and drive.

Luke 22:35-38

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Awesome deer and nice pic. Congrats to you! Love those single shot Ruger's.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    Nice deer. Especially for your first one. Congradulations.

Sure you didn't get a touch of "the fever" when you pulled that shot?
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoby View Post
    Nice deer. Especially for your first one. Congradulations.

Sure you didn't get a touch of "the fever" when you pulled that shot?
    I dont think so. My heart rate was low and my breathing was good. I was cold as **** though. I know a shanked the shot to the right but I'm not sure exactly why.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats man. Seems to be a lot of guys getting into hunting a little bit later in life, myself included.

Feedback Score
    37 (100%)
    I'm 54 years old and killed my first one 39 years ago.
    I still get giddy when I'm seeing deer. I hope I never stop.

By the way. I like the Ruger No. 1. Had a number of them over the years.
    Scoby

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”Thomas Jefferson, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in “On Crimes and Punishment”, 1764

Feedback Score
    Very nice!! Good deal on your first deer. I have been hunting for several years and love being in the woods. A lot of guys go hunting and never really get a deer for a while on their first few trips out. You did good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast