Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

What is everyones thought on this? Would you feel "underpowered" with 8+1 rounds of 9mm in your go to gun? I know people use 1911's as their goto guns which are running single stack mags but most people give it the pass just because it's a 45......... and it's the 1911.

So should a single stack 9mm be solely for CCW use or do you think it's sufficient for an all purpose, defensive handgun? I definitely prefer the way a single stack handgun handles over a double stack but I'm questioning whether or not it'll be a handicap in a fantasy gunfight situation. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have no issues packing a six shot revolver.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I wouldn't feel "undergunned", but to me a 17 round double stack semi auto carries about the same as a single stack and fits my mitts better.

Feedback Score
    I also frequently pack a wheel gun or a single stack 9 (which is what the majority of forces in ww2 carried)
    And feel fine with that.
    I like to tell especially non shooters pistols are like golf clubs you need different "clubs" for different situations one does not do everything

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    I also frequently pack a wheel gun or a single stack 9 (which is what the majority of forces in ww2 carried)
    And feel fine with that.
    I like to tell especially non shooters pistols are like golf clubs you need different "clubs" for different situations one does not do everything

Right. I understand a revolver or single stack is fine (if not preferred) for CCW, but what I'm asking is do you guys think it's still sufficient for an all around go to gun?

Basically, would you go to war with a single stack 9mm for your sidearm or do you feel it's absolutely necessary for a double stack magazine in a sidearm, duty, etc role?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    Right. I understand a revolver or single stack is fine (if not preferred) for CCW, but what I'm asking is do you guys think it's still sufficient for an all around go to gun?

Basically, would you go to war with a single stack 9mm for your sidearm or do you feel it's absolutely necessary for a double stack magazine in a sidearm, duty, etc role?

I don't think it matters what "we" think, This is a desision that only YOU can make, You are going to be carrying it, using it, not me or anyone else on this board. If you think it's GTG then by all means, use it. Practice your reloads, and carry some extra mags. It's impossible for anyone on this board to suggest what one's comfort level with any handgun should or should not be..That's something only you can answer for yourself.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVDOC View Post
    And feel fine with that.
    I like to tell people "guns are not like clothing fashions."

I also like to tell people that pistols never won a war.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    What is everyones thought on this? Would you feel "underpowered" with 8+1 rounds of 9mm in your go to gun? I know people use 1911's as their goto guns which are running single stack mags but most people give it the pass just because it's a 45......... and it's the 1911.

So should a single stack 9mm be solely for CCW use or do you think it's sufficient for an all purpose, defensive handgun? I definitely prefer the way a single stack handgun handles over a double stack but I'm questioning whether or not it'll be a handicap in a fantasy gunfight situation. Thoughts?
    I carried a single stack 9mm off duty for years and I did not feel outgunned. It was a little easier to conceal than a double stack pistol and extra magazines were a lot easier to conceal. The pistol was worn to the point of being unreliable and discontinued by the manufacturer, so I carry something different now.

I may be a little old school, but I firmly believe that 8 rounds is a lot of ammunition if I do my job. I also believe that 15-17 rounds is not enough if I do not.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-16-12 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    My edc is either a Sig 239 or a Smith 3953, both with an extra mag. I feel that is more than adequate for ccw. As an aside, I know several policemen that carry Sig 239s when they are on duty. I don't agree with that but if it works for them on duty, it should work for you or I off duty. And yes,they have been involved in a couple of OIS. Don't spray and pray and you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I remember reading some satistics on how many rounds are used on an adverage LEO engagement, in the 80's until mid 90's it was around 6-8... This can be due to the carry guns around that area( wheel guns, etc), now the average is around 8-10 this could be due to the guns of this era. This info was read on the interweb, so take it as a grain of salt, I do not claim any of it to be fact.

Many factors would influence what I carry, the location, how I am dressed, I try to dress around my gun so that I do not show any tel-tell signs that I am indeed carrying. I do not have many guns to date but my collection of tools is getting bigger. I carry my LCP to run small fast errands, with another loaded mag close, when I actually plan my gear I usually go out with my PPQ and another mag on my belt or the XDM 45 with the 9 round mag and also the 13 round mag in a holster also on my belt. Best I can do is just hope that what I am carrying will be sufficient if ever needed. So many variables will decide that. To answer the OP's question, training accuracy along with a bunch of other things will decide if I am "underpowered " I could bring the biggest bad gun ever with unlimited rounds and depending on the situation, I still could be screwed, and same with the other way around, I might be fine with 1 shot from my .380. It's all depends...
    Last edited by Blak1508; 12-16-12 at 12:53.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast