Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: for those who think M&Ps don't group well

Feedback Score

for those who think M&Ps don't group well

Here is a 6 shot group fired at 20 yards offhand
    The ammo was Freedom Munitions 115 grain 9mm ball.
    Pistol is a 2 year old M&P Pro with a standard old style barrel.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    That's a sample of 1. I believe the issue has always been that yours might group, the next one won't. Lack of consistency not inability to group.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And your point is?? If you've read any of the threads about M&P accuracy issues, you'd understand that it is a RANDOM issue..Your target proves you got a good one...Many of us here, did'nt..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    I have 12 M&Ps and all of mine shoot very well.

I have only seen one M&P 9mm of the hundreds that came through my shop that shot unacceptably and a new barrel solved its problem. I understand that other folks have had less success but I have not seen it myself.

I have had two M&P in the shop with high round counts that had worn out barrels. It seems to me that 40,000 rounds is the barrel life of an M&P. Both of those pistols still shot ok but accuracy was 5-6 inches at 20 yards.
    Most of the M&Ps that customers brought by for me to look at, had owner trigger control issues and not mechanical accuracy issues.
    YMMV

Feedback Score
    The M&P accuracy issue isn't like whether or not you believe in Santa Clause.

Is that your assertion?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike benedict View Post
    I have 12 M&Ps and all of mine shoot very well.

I have only seen one M&P 9mm of the hundreds that came through my shop that shot unacceptably and a new barrel solved its problem. I understand that other folks have had less success but I have not seen it myself.

I have had two M&P in the shop with high round counts that had worn out barrels. It seems to me that 40,000 rounds is the barrel life of an M&P. Both of those pistols still shot ok but accuracy was 5-6 inches at 20 yards.
    Most of the M&Ps that customers brought by for me to look at, had owner trigger control issues and not mechanical accuracy issues.
    YMMV
    This post is no different than the Glock fanboys that think that because their new Glock doesn't pelt them in the face with hot angry brass that the problem doesn't exist.

Feedback Score
    Then why do people buy aftermarket barrels to make M&Ps accurate constantly?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_B View Post
    The M&P accuracy issue isn't like whether or not you believe in Santa Clause.

Is that your assertion?
    I like that

I would really like to look at some M&Ps with the fabled accuracy problems, I'm sure they do exist but I doubt if it is any more common than problems with any other service pistol.

If anyone has one that shoots poorly and are in North Georgia and wants to bring them by, I would love to test them out at my range. I will even spring for BBQ
    Last edited by mike benedict; 12-24-12 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    to the OP: Your M&P groups well out-of-the box but mine did not.

since we are all talking about "sample size of 1" here's my one experience:

I had a M&P 9mm "pro" but it was the 4.25 barrel with night-sights ("sorta-pro" edition), bought in 2011.
    I always had trouble couldn't get a tight group out of it. My cheap 9mm 1911 was better at making tighter groups, which is sad. I thought it was me, had another person at my gun-club shoot it (he is highly regarded) and with other pistols he could make a good group on-paper but with my M&P it was all-over the place. I tried different ammo, all sorts of stuff to figure it out.
    Finally sent mine back to S&W for "accuracy issues" this was early 2012. It came back with a barrel that looked slightly different at the chamber area, some different machining cuts near the locking lug (sorry I didn't get before/after pictures). The M&P now definitely makes better groups on-paper, I do have my before/after paper targets and there is a visible difference.

In summary, I guess I got a bad one, barrel change by S&W fixed it.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 12-24-12 at 10:19.

Feedback Score

good M&Ps and bad M&Ps

I have a M&P9, groups all over the place
    I have a M&P9c, groups much tighter. Very tight, considering it's a compact.
    I have a M&P45, groups not as tight as the 9c, but better than the 9 (and this 45 has the nastiest, grittyest, and strongest trigger pull of the whole bunch, so bad, that unless you concentrate, you'll be yanking your hand down and to the left).

There are good M&Ps,
    There are bad M&Ps

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast