Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

Feedback Score
    I carried a Kahr K9 as my CCW for a number of years and felt that it was sufficient. I now carry an HK P2000 .40 or Glock 19 99% of the time because I found it wasn't a big deal to conceal the larger gun and more capability could be beneficial. Situations like the Trolley Square mall shooting in Utah made me rethink my selection (the off duty officer who initially engaged the shooter had a 1911 and no reload). I now carry as much fighting capacity as is reasonable for me and my situation. There may be situations where I need to carry something smaller and I will vary what I carry. For you or someone else a single stack 9mm might be fine but at the moment I choose to carry more.
    I once saw a quote (attributed to someone smarter and more experienced than I) the basically said that they never heard of someone in a gunfight who thought they had too much ammo.

(All that said, I'm looking to buy a M&P Shield 9 to use in certain situations)

Edit: to specifically answer the original question - I would not choose a single stack handgun as my sidearm for going into battle. If more rounds are readily available with minimal size penalty, I'll take more rounds.
    Last edited by gunnut284; 12-16-12 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    My edc is either a Sig 239 or a Smith 3953, both with an extra mag. I feel that is more than adequate for ccw. As an aside, I know several policemen that carry Sig 239s when they are on duty. I don't agree with that but if it works for them on duty, it should work for you or I off duty. And yes,they have been involved in a couple of OIS. Don't spray and pray and you will be fine.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I remember reading some satistics on how many rounds are used on an adverage LEO engagement, in the 80's until mid 90's it was around 6-8... This can be due to the carry guns around that area( wheel guns, etc), now the average is around 8-10 this could be due to the guns of this era. This info was read on the interweb, so take it as a grain of salt, I do not claim any of it to be fact.

Many factors would influence what I carry, the location, how I am dressed, I try to dress around my gun so that I do not show any tel-tell signs that I am indeed carrying. I do not have many guns to date but my collection of tools is getting bigger. I carry my LCP to run small fast errands, with another loaded mag close, when I actually plan my gear I usually go out with my PPQ and another mag on my belt or the XDM 45 with the 9 round mag and also the 13 round mag in a holster also on my belt. Best I can do is just hope that what I am carrying will be sufficient if ever needed. So many variables will decide that. To answer the OP's question, training accuracy along with a bunch of other things will decide if I am "underpowered " I could bring the biggest bad gun ever with unlimited rounds and depending on the situation, I still could be screwed, and same with the other way around, I might be fine with 1 shot from my .380. It's all depends...
    Last edited by Blak1508; 12-16-12 at 12:53.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    More is better if it doesn't hinder you in other ways. I wouldn't carry a 20 or 30 round mag that stuck out and could hang on things. I don't think that I need to have X rounds to be able to fight. I carry a double stack 9mm because it is the most I can carry and conceal. I don't think a single stack would change my survival rate as much as inaccuracy or poor tactics. In the context of war where it is a backup to a rifle, I don't think round count of my handgun would matter much at all.
    Better equipment doesn’t make you a better shot. Better practice makes you a better shot.

I’m not impressed by a lifetime warranty. I’m impressed by something built to last a lifetime!

American by birth, Veteran by choice!

Eric

Feedback Score
    ralph's comment surely wasn't meant to be a smart a$$ reply and is nearly the words I was going to say. I do understand that you are looking more for this to be a discussion verses what you actually need/want. Therefore I'll respond with my answer after carrying for well over 30 years. Started out with revolvers, then compact 1911's, up to the double stack Blocks, back to 1911 format. Now I carry either a PM45 or PM9 along with one or two spare mags. After carrying for so many years and older age creeping up on my I find the heavier double stacks get heavy by the end of the day and are a tad harder to 'dress' for.
    My theory is, too many guys these days do the 'spray and pray' scenario instead of the more disciplined trigger and sight control with well aimed shots. Everywhere you look it seems like the thing to do is a mag dump, this is without much attention paid to where those rounds are going to impact. The movie industry has sure helped in this regard where the good and bad guys always seem to have an endless supply of rounds in their firearms.
    So, there you have my opinion....I am perfectly content in carrying a single stack handgun be it the mighty 45 or the lowly 9mm.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Carrying a concealed pistol is uncomfortable to some degree. The amount of increased "discomfort" between a single vs double stack 9mm is nominal. In regards to capacity, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by djmorris View Post
    What is everyones thought on this? Would you feel "underpowered" with 8+1 rounds of 9mm in your go to gun? I know people use 1911's as their goto guns which are running single stack mags but most people give it the pass just because it's a 45......... and it's the 1911.

So should a single stack 9mm be solely for CCW use or do you think it's sufficient for an all purpose, defensive handgun? I definitely prefer the way a single stack handgun handles over a double stack but I'm questioning whether or not it'll be a handicap in a fantasy gunfight situation. Thoughts?
    I don't have any problem with a 7 or 8rd CCW firearms, because most CCW encounters are only 1-2 rounds fired.

With that said, if I am open carrying or it is winter, I would never select something smaller than a full size gun with at least a 10rd capacity.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I don't have any problem with a 7 or 8rd CCW firearms, because most CCW encounters are only 1-2 rounds fired.

With that said, if I am open carrying or it is winter, I would never select something smaller than a full size gun with at least a 10rd capacity.

C4
    I have to agree with this. Carry the biggest handgun you are willing to carry. If you are not going to carry a larger capacity handgun because you find it uncomfortable or inconvenient, then carry a single stack pistol.

No matter what you choose to carry, get in as much trigger time with the pistol as you can afford. If you are on a tight budget, dry fire. I dry fire every day.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    For years and years I carried a P7M8 which was 8+1 and it was great. Then I moved to an 8 shot Kahr. Now I carry a 5 shot J frame. So, it is safe to say I am worried about having a gun in a real caliber than capacity.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It isn't an issue of capacity for me, it is an issue of performance. Most single stacks are smaller-sized guns; can you shoot them as well as full sized guns? If no, then do you find the way you shoot them is sufficient?
    Some single stack guns are perfectly shootable but have other limitations. P7 is a joy to shoot. For 50 rounds, after which it'll burn your hand. I just sold mine after I realized I hadn't shot it for 2 years, simply because it can't support a volume of fire during my training.
    Unless you live in a gang-infested area with a high probability of encountering multiple attackers, 7-8 rounds are fine, as long as you can place them on demand, where they need to be placed, and fast enough.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast