Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Interesting post and discussion. While I originally CCW'd with a Colt Commander and 2 spare mags, I got tired of carrying the extra mags, weight etc...Over the last 5 + years, I prefer a G19 carrying 15 rds and no spare mags. Dropping to below 10 rds in a CCW is certainly a personal decision and for that matter a potential looming political edict, I prefer the extra rounds on board. I pray I'll never need a single round.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is a good topic. Very relevant considering the love for guns like the Walther PPS, S&W Shield and 1911s these days.

I go back and forth between my Shield and PPQ. I am very comfortable with my Shield and an extra mag or two, much like I am "comfortable" with a 1911 and a couple of mags. With that being said, I equate magazine capacity with endurance, as in endurance in a fist fight.
    An eight plus one capacity (1911, Shield, PPS, whatever) might equate to making it for, say 30 seconds before you are winded in a vicious fist fight. A 15+1 round gun (PPQ, G19, whatever) might equate to 50 seconds. I used to do the three minute round thing and at age 49, I still spar once or twice a month with some squared away dudes, so, this comparison works for me.

You can spin this shit a million ways but this perspective keeps me grounded in my desire to carry as much gun as possible and as often as is possible. Most encounters may be quickies, but, I would rather not have any interruptions if I am ever unlucky enough to have to hose some asshole(s) down (and that is with accurate fire).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What it really comes down to is that you need to find a gun that you are comfortable with and are willing to train with. I know plenty of guys here are more than willing to bring a single stack gun to a fight if need be and are pretty effective with those guns.

As far as capacity goes, I don't think too much about it. I carry a revolver for work (Not by choice), and even though everyone who has one with my company hates it, I don't. I took the time to train with it, and found that I like it a lot and by no means feel outgunned with it. I also carry a 1911 when not on the clock because that's what I've been shooting the longest and feel the most confident with.

What it comes down to is you need to pick a good gun that you are willing to train with. Any gun can be relatively effective in any situation provided the end user knows how to use it.

Feedback Score
    Capacity is something I look at. In my opinion there is one pistol that does everything. But it's different for every person.

I personally refuse to carry a pistol that carries less than 15 rounds or so.

Sure. Most concealed carry shootings only have a few rounds fired, but shootings aren't the norm. So once you're in one, the norm doesn't really apply any more. Where I'm from, bad guys carry guns with lots of bullets, and they travel in packs of 3-4. It's not as common for that to be the case in Oregon, but I'm sure as hell not taking my chance.

Plus, my concealed carry pistol is my all around defensive pistol. (All I do is pull of the suppressor when I leave the house.)
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 12-17-12 at 03:05.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    I carry an 8 round 9mmSIG P225 in the summer and don't feel undergunned at all.

In the winter, I carry my 226 with an 18 round magazine because I can.

As long as you can hit what you are shooting at , a single stack should scare you away.

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    Normal carry for me is an M&P9 FS or a G19. Currently carrying an LCR when I have to but selling it and adding a Kahr CW9 and CM9. The CM9 will be a pocket/NPE carry gun and the CW9 will be for when a tuckable is my only good option.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    For me the answer is situationally dependent. If it's alone attacker at close range, a 5 shot revolver or compact 8 shot 9mm is plenty. If it's three armed robbers in a complex environment, perhaps not so much. Dependent on where I'm going, what I'll be doing and what I have to wear, I'll suit up with the appropriate gun and adjust my capability framework accordingly.

Feedback Score
    I think they should be for CCW only, unless it is all you can afford/able to own, handle, carry, etc.

If it is reasonable and wise to be as well-prepared as possible, for the worst-case scenario - why gear up like it is 1912?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    In my opinion, its a preference and performance issue. How well do you shoot? what are your groups like? how comfortable are you with your weapon? I carry a Glock 26 with a 10-round double stack 9mm magazine, because I feel I would need the extra rounds in a defensive situation. I am an accurate shooter BUT I have never been in a combat situation before and I hope never to be.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a PM9 as a carry gun. I keep a second mag in my pocket. If I carry something like a Glock 19 I typically don't carry a second round.

I would never use it as a bedside gun, open carry, camping, or in my car.

I would always use something from a glock 19-34 for that.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast