Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Single stack 9mm's - CCW only?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    My inlaws are in the Philly area, specifically Upper Darby a few blocks from 69th Street. That place gives me PLENTY of reasons to be armed and aware every time I go there and I have for 8 years now.
    I grew up in Delco. That was a bad area many years ago, and now it is a really, really bad area. Your instincts are correct, and areas like that, West Philly, and North Philly are definite arguments for standard capacity, double stack mags.

Feedback Score
    I went from a 5+0 to a 6+1 or 8+1 w/ quick reload capability because I felt the revolver just didn't have quite enough capacity.

At night I switch from 9mm to .45 because I can, but it is still 8+1.

Feedback Score
    My P225 is actually a Swiss made police trade in. It has a heel release. Does not say "Made in W. Germany" on the slide, but "Montage Suisse."

Paid 400 dollars for it five years ago.

Still...it is accurate and very reliable and if I had to carry it all the time, it would not really bother me. One of the few d/a-s/a pistols I can live with.

-brickboy240

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I did not feel comfortable limited to 7 + 1 in the single stack 9 mm I carry daily in my cargo pocket. So, I found a way to carry two spare mags on my belt using a minimum of belt space. I use two, single mag holders that are barely wider than the small mags so they take up very little room.

So, my answer to to the question on on a single stack 9mm as CCW is yes, but only because I have found a way for me to carry two additional mags easily and comfortably. The single stack 9 mm would not be my choice "all around" because I believe more capacity is better when available. For me, that generally means the guns at various locations in my home or the occasional time I take an extra gun in the truck console, in addition to the single stack 9 mm I carry. The all around guns all have 13 or more round capacity.

As stated by others, you have to be proficient with any gun and extra mags you decide to carry.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DWood; 01-12-13 at 11:50.
    Go in peace, but be prepared for violence.

Feedback Score
    Hi-cap, if possible, but otherwise, shoot what fits you, what you are competent with, and have confidence in. If that's 6,7,8, or 9 rounds, then get good with it and don't worry about the capacity.

Skip

Feedback Score
    I switch between a M&P 9C or a 638. The revolver usually comes with me because of covenience, but I have started carrying the M&P more these days. Capacity more than doubles without a reload with the M&P and that could be huge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I used to think 9 rounds was enough when I was a big single stack 1911 fan but after watching enough videos of officer involved shootings I ditched that idea. 9 rounds may well not be enough. In real life people miss when stress is put on them with a target that is moving and shooting back. Plus bad guys are operating in groups more and more. Also the ability to use cover fire to keep the bad guy pinned down is a good thing. I know your accountable for every bullet but there are times when you have to do what you have to do to save your own life.
    Pat
    unfortunately in my state they are talking about a 5 round capacity limit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    My P225 is actually a Swiss made police trade in. It has a heel release. Does not say "Made in W. Germany" on the slide, but "Montage Suisse."

Paid 400 dollars for it five years ago.

Still...it is accurate and very reliable and if I had to carry it all the time, it would not really bother me. One of the few d/a-s/a pistols I can live with.

-brickboy240
    thats pretty cool. would you happen to have any pictures?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    I used to think 9 rounds was enough when I was a big single stack 1911 fan but after watching enough videos of officer involved shootings I ditched that idea. 9 rounds may well not be enough. In real life people miss when stress is put on them with a target that is moving and shooting back. Plus bad guys are operating in groups more and more. Also the ability to use cover fire to keep the bad guy pinned down is a good thing. I know your accountable for every bullet but there are times when you have to do what you have to do to save your own life.
    Pat
    Absolutely to the very point of the importance of high capacity weapons for personal self-defense.

I laugh every time I read some cocky post to the effect of "if you can't end it in seven or eight rounds, you're screwed anyway." Or "studies show that most gunfights end with only 3 or 4 rounds being fired." That's nothing but hot air rationalization by ignorant people who think they're "tough guys".

In a firearms training class I recently attended, the instructor quoted a recent study in law enforcement that revealed that in LE shooting situations, police officers had a 78% rate.... of MISSES. Point being that under stress, when scrambling to not get hit, and trying to hit someone else who is moving, one's success rate with effective hits is likely to be abysmal. One may likely very quickly empty a gun of seven or eight rounds without stopping the threat. Self defense scenarios are nothing like shooting while standing in the booth at your local range on a warm Saturday afternoon, taking careful aim at a non-moving target.

Given any possibility at all of carrying my G19 or G17, I will do so EVERY TIME over carrying one of my low-cap sub-compact nines.

Sure, the little buggers (PM9, P938) are great little nines and easy to carry along without even noticing them. But when you suddenly find yourself having the darkest day of your entire life, facing the darkest evil you've ever been confronted by, what would you be praying to have in your hand, a 7-shot PM9 or a 16-shot G19 or 18-shot G17, or similar weapon?

You carry a gun so that if you should ever have THAT dark day, you may stand a chance of defending and saving your life (or that of another) with your carry gun... so why, if you can possibly help it, would you choose to carry a tiny, low-capacity pistol instead of a more capable pistol like a G19 or similar choice?

"I can reload with back-up mags" you might say. Well... that could be a possibility. But I'd say it's even more possible that you may not have the time nor ability to do that when evil is a mere few feet in front of you and shooting at you. More rounds on tap WITHOUT having to reload beats having to reload EVERY time.

Yes, I have some single-stack nines that I can carry if desired... but they are nearly always relegated to back-up position, rather than as primary. Guns like the G19 are so easy to carry concealed if you try. You know that you have them on you when you carry, so they don't "disappear" from your awareness like a pocket nine might, but what matters more - the capability if needed or mere convenience?
    Last edited by DHart; 01-13-13 at 01:14.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789