Thread: How to sight in/adjust a peep sight?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

How to sight in/adjust a peep sight?

I currently just recieved a gun from my mother that was her fathers, and it has a peep sight on it. And this weekend I plan on shooting it for the first time, and also sighting it in. So I researched on google on how to sight in a peep sight, but I yielded no results, so I come to you asking how do I sight in a peep sight? I know there are different screw to adjust different thing, so which screws do I touch to adjust it, and also how do I adjust it if I am shooting too high or low, etc? I know it shouldn't be difficult, I just don't want to start adjusting things that I shouldn't be touching, etc. Btw it is a Lyman Peep Sight in case their sights are different at all...

Here are some pics in case they help.

Top of sight

Side of the sight

I also have one more question, the peep sight itself, like the hole you look through; does it need to be screwed in all the way, or what? Would there be times when I need it to be screwed in all the way or what?

Feedback Score
    First things first..Before going to the range tomorrow, before you load the rifle before you do anything else ensure the bore is clear of dry hard lube , wasp nests anything but a light coat of oil. Ensure the action is lubricated and if yoou can remove and disassemble the bolt make sure the firing pin channel is clean.

To use a peep sight you look through it basically ignoring it and focus on the front sight. The reap sight will blur out to a fuzzy ring. The great thing about peeps, especially for those of us approaching or past the half century mark is that our old eyes do much better because we are focusing on the front sight and not bouncing back and forth front rear target.

Adjustments....move the rear sight the direction you want the group to move. elevation is controlled by the big fillister head slotted machine screw on the top of the sight. There will probably be some elevation hash marks on the right hand side and you will have to play a bit to determine up and down with respect to adjustment screw rotation. Windage is adjusted by the slotted fillister head machine screw on the left of the sight. Again sight adjustment direction with respect to screw will have to be determined.

The removable apeture disk should be gently snugged up against the sight. If you dont it will eventually find its way out of the sight and on to the ground If there is sufficient light the removable disk should be left in place. In the event of shooting in low light remove the disk and use the big apeture as a ghost ring with no loss of zero.
    Semper Paratus
    (Always Prepared)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info and how to, it will definately help me out tomorrow, very easy to understand; I am just going to have to tinker around with it I think. Oh and btw, when I got the gun I took it to a gunsmith to check everything out, the firing pin, spring, etc. So it is safe to shoot, and it is all clean in the bore, its just the outside is dirty because it is 60+ years old.

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    Well I took my gun to the gun range today for about a hour and a half, and it was fun shooting. Suprisingly the sight wasn't out of sight, definately a suprise for not being touch for 30+ years. The shooting was really fun, but since it is a Mauser that has been re-stocked, and re-barreled to a 7mm Magnum, it definately had a kick to it, lol my arm is a little tender.
    Thanks for the help...