Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Stabilizing Brace for AR15 Pistol "SB15"

Feedback Score

New Stabilizing Brace for AR15 Pistol "SB15"

Hi everyone,
    I’m new to this forum, so I thought I'd give some info on my new project. I have been developing with the Chief Prosthetis at local Veterans Hospital a Stabilizing Brace (SB15) for the ar15 pistol, and a few other pistols that are similar in format, that I think all of us here will appreciate. The product is Patent Pending and I have attached the ATF Approval as well. I am a veteran and after 12 years of service and various deployments I have some mobility issues with my shooting hand and arm and the intent of the SB15 is to assist those with limited strength or mobility while shooting from the one-handed pistol precision stance or one handed supported stance. I think my product also finally gives some extra aesthetic value to the pistol version of the AR15. Attached are some pictures of the prototype that I sent to the ATF for their evaluation and approval. The actual version will be in Black, Sand and Olive drab and wont have any of the defects you see on the original.

I've already done a few range days with some wounded vets and will be doing it again towards the end of the month. If you're in the St. Petersburg area and want to participate let me know!

It would be nice to get some feedback from you guys!

Thanks

Alex

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Interesting idea. I hope the membership doesn't mind my first post is responding to this thread. I recently became a new AR15 owner and signed up here. I hadn't done a formal introduction yet and I saw this.

First, my compliments for taking on the task to work on a way to adapt equipment for an upper limb disability. I do feel a connection as I too have a similar issue. I lost the use of my left arm years ago so I have no support hand for rifles or handguns. I have done some rigging of my own to do some activities. Designing equipment is a challenge to say the least.

The reach through design will offer very good support. What do the pistol versions weigh?

Here's a consideration for design, an extendable version so the stock can be extended to fit closer to the elbow (but you've probably already thought of that ). With that said, it makes sense that leverage is being applied to the buffer tube with use over time. I'd be curious to know if this becomes an issue if at all. Think it could eventually bend a buffer tube enough to interfere with cycling? Seems improbable but just had to ask the question.

Best wishes on your venture. I do hope this is a success.

Feedback Score
    I never thought of the buffer tube bending being an issue? I guess it depends on how much stress is being placed there, but I cant imagine there is enough stress to bend the tube. We are presently working on an extendable version...the longer the barrel the longer the need to move aft of the weapon to compensate the weight while firing with one hand. In terms of weight I have seen the AR15 pistols weigh anywhere between 5 and 8 pounds depending on barrel length and accessories. A fully loaded 30 round mag weighs in at just about a pound. So if you do have some kind of mobility issue or are missing a limb, controlling the weapon becomes an issue. But you know this all to well!! Thanks for the feed back and let me know if you have any more ideas...they are more than welcome!

Feedback Score
    Here's a photo of the most recent SB15 I just finished...

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Are those most recent ones made of the same materials?
    They appear to be of hard plasic with chin support - if so you probably know better than me where that would take you...
    Other than that, really applaud your effort - good luck!
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    The Whole thing is made of Medical Grade Rubber. The "Chin Supports" dont change anything, as the product is intended and designed to fire the AR15 pistol with one hand. How would you put your chin on there once the SB15 is strapped to your arm? Now if you use it to fire from the shoulder that would be an inappropriate use of my product. Not illegal but not what I designed it for. It's the same as using a buffer tube to shoot from the shoulder...it's not illegal, but do people shoot it that way? Of course!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SB15 View Post
    The Whole thing is made of Medical Grade Rubber. The "Chin Supports" dont change anything, as the product is intended and designed to fire the AR15 pistol with one hand. How would you put your chin on there once the SB15 is strapped to your arm? Now if you use it to fire from the shoulder that would be an inappropriate use of my product. Not illegal but not what I designed it for. It's the same as using a buffer tube to shoot from the shoulder...it's not illegal, but do people shoot it that way? Of course!
    Then why do you have an AFG on the forearm?

Feedback Score
    To Keep the rails clear of the bench when firing it. Most of the guys who have fired it with me, either have a missing limb or the use of only one arm. To fire the weapon with one hand, they bench it from the sitting position. They use the AFG to lean the weapon on a rest. If I were to take it off, they would be leaning the bottom rails directly to the bench and it would eventually scratch up the bottom of the pistol.
    Last edited by SB15; 01-04-13 at 07:58.

Feedback Score
    second example sure does look like it's converted a pistol to be shot from the shoulder. in fact i looks a WHOLE lot like a VLTOR stock.

BIG difference between the approved version and the second version to my eye. second one clearly looks like a stock first one is clearly an addition to a buffer tube.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    I can assure you that the first piece that I sent to the ATF and the Last one you see are exactly the same, except that one is black and is Aesthetically different, but the material is exactly the same. I have spoken with the ATF and they have cleared me to change the "Aesthetics" as long as the design and intention has not changed. Putting a chin rest on the AR pistol does not change the definition of the pistol either. In fact the ATF has already ruled that a CAA Saddle can be place on a buffer tube because it is not intended or designed to allow you to fire the pistol from the shoulder. And again, if you use my product the way I've designed, you wont be able to use it as a chin rest. Can you inappropriately use my product...absolutely yes. Can you inappropriately use a buffer tube as a stock...absolutely yes again...but that is not illegal.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast