Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New Stabilizing Brace for AR15 Pistol "SB15"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sig is marketing something like this.....I'm....not sure of the use and REALLY not sure you can't call this a stock,if I'm lucky enough to be around one I'll try to shoulder it.

I can use an AR with the carbine stock all the way shut FYI so I don't see why I couldn't with this.
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score

SIG P556

Just had a chance to handle a SIG P556 equipped with one of these in a gun store today and...... it works just fine as a shoulder stock. I have never bought an SBR because I didn't care for the hassle or extra expense (and didn't like funding the ATF either). I never bought an AR Pistol because they seemed silly to me. This has changed things. It was solidly built and I was able to perform manual of arms as with a rifle. You can mount it at whatever Length of Pull you choose with a little creativity.

The dealer, who also sells NFA items, said that they had a long conversation with their local ATF agent that does their inspections and was told that it's 100% legal to use however you want. In other words, no danger of being arrested if someone sees you using it as a stock. If that should change, so be it, but for now, have fun.
    I can't think of anything witty or profound to put here.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Re: New Stabilizing Brace for AR15 Pistol "SB15"

Does it require a specific tube to mount to?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    I think this thing, especially the second version, is asking for trouble. I’m all for helping disabled vets, and if someone has a disability or mobility issue with one arm or hand I can see this having a legitimate use. But it really looks like your goal here is to skirt the law which is obviously not going to be met with a lot of support from members, like me, of the general firearms community that are trying so hard to prove we are responsible law abiding members of a society that is out to demonize us.

Personally think you should have gone out of your way to make sure it could not be used as a stock. I think it would have been more effective to make a soft cuff with a semi-rigid ring on top that would stay on the shooter's arm and could be slipped over the buffer tube from the back as the gun is picked up and could be slid back off the buffer tube as the gun is let go of. I think that is much more practical for someone with a disability than the concept of semi-permanently strapping their only good hand onto the gun. How is a disabled person supposed to do a one handed reload when their only good hand is strapped to the buffer tube?
    If you think that another design is better, then go design it.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krull View Post
    Sig is marketing something like this.....I'm....not sure of the use and REALLY not sure you can't call this a stock,if I'm lucky enough to be around one I'll try to shoulder it.

I can use an AR with the carbine stock all the way shut FYI so I don't see why I couldn't with this.
    I think this is one and the same.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    doesn`t sig already offer a very similar product already?this just appears to be a copy!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My LGS has some of these in stock and I was able to check one out. When strapped to my forearm and the pistol grip in my shooting hand, I am unable to 1) line up the sights due to the angle at which the gun is canted or 2) reach the mag release button. The "strap" is indeed made of a very dense rubber which is in the shape of a traditional butt stock and can easily be pushed into the shoulder for a proper cheek weld.

To me, unless shooting from the hip without using the sights, this will not allow for proper pistol shooting techniques to be used.
    Last edited by armed_zebra; 07-24-13 at 16:14.
    Silence can not be misquoted!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsolla View Post
    doesn`t sig already offer a very similar product already?this just appears to be a copy!
    Pretty sure he licensed it to Sig.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTakas View Post
    I don’t think you’re trying to be argumentative and neither am I, but I think you missed my point.

I think the market for a device that is only practical for one handed shooters who use AR-15 pistols is extremely small.

Despite the claim that this device is intended for a disabled person it is not particularly well suited for its expressed purpose while at the same time being suspiciously well suited for use as a make shift stock (see the above post). For its expressed use the device must be strapped to the shooters arm but in all but one of the pictures posted the device doesn’t even have the straps installed. For its expressed use, as the OP himself pointed out, the cheek rest could not possibly be used. For a device that is expressly not a stock it has been shaped very carefully to mimic one. It’s designed to look like a stock and function like a stock.

My point was not that a better design needed made for its expressed purpose, but that the expressed purpose of this device is clearly not the real purpose.
    Agreed but I fail to see the problem.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast