Thread: Sight Question

Feedback Score

Sight Question

First post on here. I'm trying to decide on sights for my rifle. I don't know whether to get fixed sights, or a combination of the two. I have a flat top receiver with a 10 inch MI T-series rail system. I know there are advantages and disadvantages with both and I do plan on running a red dot with a 3x magnifier mounted on a swivel mount. I'm leaning toward Troy Battlesights, however, I've been told I should just get the Magpul MBUS sights and save some money for ammo, which does sound nice. I like the way the sight picture looks on the HK style Troy sights but don't know whether to get fixed or flip. Any help and reasoning is appreciated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    If you are running an aimpoint, flipers would be out of the sight picture and fixed would be in the sight picture. Which do you prefer?

Feedback Score
    See that's what I don't know. This is my first AR style rifle without a scope. I just didn't want one on this one. I don't think co-witnessing would bother me though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If iron sights will be your primary sighting system then I'd get the Troys. If you're running a quality RDS (Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon), and your iron sights will be backup, then I'd get the MBUS.

You could mount an MBUS front on your rail, but not on a gas block.

Feedback Score
    I have a rifle with a front sight post, on that one I run an aimpoint and a flip up rear. I also have a rifle without a front sight post that I run a scope on and Dueck offset sights so as to not interfere with the sight picture in the scope. It really all boils down to what RD or scope you plan to use. Some say the EOTECH is a little busy with a FSP or a fixed front sight. I don't know, I don't run them, but it makes sense. With flip ups you know you will have no issue so that may be the direction you want to take.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I prefer a fixed rear sight like a Daniel Defense behind a lower 1/3 mounted Aimpoint. if you are sure you are going to go the magnifier route you'll need folding sights. I used to use Mbus, nothing wrong with them. now I use Troy or KAC flip ups...

and I prefer a fixed front sight, even with magnification. when you use the magnifier the front sight will blur out and not be an issue.
    Last edited by ra2bach; 12-19-12 at 13:59.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I run Troys myself, but honestly, what you run is up to you. What works for for me may not exactly work for you. Try something, if you don't like it, find someone who does and sell it to them.
    Ruger SR556
    S&W M&P15/22
    Savage 77 12G
    Springfield XDM .40 S&W

Feedback Score
    I have an Aimpoint on my carbine and the fixed iron sights are in the lower third. I prefer the lower third set up compared to the true cowitness set up. If you can, check out the view through a few rifles set up with red dot sights at the local gun shop.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-19-12 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We have an optics subforum, with many threads that speak to irons, co-witnessing with an RDS, and use with magnified optics. It is entitled, misleadingly, Optics and Mounts.

Read the stickied threads at the top of the subforum.

Utilize the Search features.

Posting in an older/inactive thread isn't necro-posting IF that post asks an unaddressed question or presents new info.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons