Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip-up sight problem

Feedback Score

Flip-up sight problem

I bought a S&W15 Optic Ready AR. Nice gun. Shoots well and all that. Bought a Yankee Hill folding rear and Brownells flip-up front sight. Went to zero it at 50 yards.......... With the front sight post screwed IN/DOWN all the way it's still hitting 16" low. I ran a straightedge from the flat top to the railed gas block and they are the same height. Can two different sight mfgs. be that far off to make them incompatable? I was trying to get off cheap, because I won't use them that often. Mounting a red dot on it for primary use.

Feedback Score
    Check the model # of your front sight. There are two differnet types- one is the correct height for mounting on gas blocks, the other is for mounting on the top forearm rail. Sounds like you have a front sight for a gas block which would be slightly taller.

Feedback Score
    Yes, it's mounted on the gas block rail. I'll check Brownells catalog, but I didn't see but the one front sight of their brand.

Feedback Score
    Is this the one you have?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...%20UP%20SIGHTS

It should be correct for mounting on a gas block. I guess you'll need to call the folks at Brownell's...

Feedback Score
    I've got a similar problem with an ARMS #40 and a Troy and LMT front sight. I know I've got the correct front sights (both rail mounted), but with both front sights when bottomed out still hit 8" low at 25 yards.

I'm interested in hearing from others that might have figured out a good way to fix this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DM-SC View Post
    Is this the one you have?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...%20UP%20SIGHTS

It should be correct for mounting on a gas block. I guess you'll need to call the folks at Brownell's...
    Yes, that's the front sight. But they dropped the rear sights they're showing in the picture, so I ordered a YHM- Brownells # 100-002-094, but something's not jiving with this combo. I was going to buy the Midwest front & rear, but didn't want to spend the extra money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by watertower View Post
    I've got a similar problem with an ARMS #40 and a Troy and LMT front sight. I know I've got the correct front sights (both rail mounted), but with both front sights when bottomed out still hit 8" low at 25 yards.

I'm interested in hearing from others that might have figured out a good way to fix this.
    I'll post if I come up with an answer.

Feedback Score

I may be mistaken but...

shouldn't the front sight be "unscrewed" up for the point of impact to hit lower?

Feedback Score
    Mine is 16" low at 50 yards. In order to raise poi you have to lower the front sight. Mine is as far down as it can go.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by G19A3 View Post
    shouldn't the front sight be "unscrewed" up for the point of impact to hit lower?
    That is correct. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the impact of the bullet to move. The front sight is moved in the opposite direction you want the impact to go.

The problem Slinger and I both have, is that we're out of adjustment, and POI is still way too low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast