Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Winchester 1892 .357

Feedback Score
    I have a Rossi M-92 large loop with 16" barrel in 45 Colt. It is a handy little rifle with a lot of power for it's size. It would make a great little deer rifle.

Feedback Score

1892 Win' Clone

I lucked into a pre-lock, Puma in .357. My piece is a trapper, feeds .38 Specials as well as .357s (which I've read not all do; my long-ago owned .45 Colt/.454 did not). These carbines can be great shooters (sample one).
    Mine prefers heavier projectiles in both calibers. I have thought about sending it off for aperture sights and sling swivels to make keeping it about handier.
    Previous trapper models that have come and gone. I had an 1894 Win in .44 that wasn't as reliable with a pistol-length cartridge as I wanted. This trapper also had a looooong hammer drop time. The aforementioned .454 went to heaven because it was expensive to feed, though I regret not keeping it around. A Marlin Guide Gun took its place.
    To return the the OP's question, for pistol-caliber use the 1892 seems to be the best action with the most potential.
    Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I also have a Puma '92 clone in .357. It's been a great little rifle after some work. I replaced the safety device with a peep sight and it's quite accurate within its intended range. Feeds .38s a little rough but .357s are smooth as butter. It currently pulls duty as my 'Jeep gun'. I love my stainless Puma.

Feedback Score
    For years I carried in the truck and the cruiser a 16" Puma in 357, I had to send it out to a smith to get it to run the 200WFN lead stuff, but it loved the old Winchester 145 grain silver tip, had it set up as a quasi scout gun, took a piece of gunsmith scope rail and fitted to the rear sight area and then mounted a old shotgun "turkey" scope, and then mounted one of the Marbles tang sights on it when I finanly found one. Enlarged the loop just a tad and wrapped it,, was a great gun
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have an 1984C Marlin. I have been eager to try some of the Buffalo Bore ammo on deer:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=102

I llike the lever action .357's. Very much underrated. Great guns

Feedback Score
    I have been looking for a marlin 1894c for quite some time, if anyone can provide a link/source to where they can be purchased it would be greatly appreciated !

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    I have been looking for a marlin 1894c for quite some time, if anyone can provide a link/source to where they can be purchased it would be greatly appreciated !
    Again, I'd start at the Marlinowners.com forums. Good knowledgable people. Might have something for sale in their marketplace

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Last edited by usmcvet; 12-29-12 at 19:03.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12