Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSA 5.56 77gr Sierra OTM - need questions answered.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cool

Hi all,
    new here. So does it make me OCD if I pulled some perfectly good bullets? I bought several boxes of 10mm from a boutique company advertising some impressive velocities, and curiosity got the better of me. Turns out I had the powder in my stock of powders for the ''10''
    and have since worked up to the loads specs I bought. Thanks all, stay safe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^^ sooo, you're going to say all that about your 10mm load but give no specifics?? You'll have to give that up buddy. Ok, I'll ask nice. PM me if you like.

I helped work up 10mm loads nearly 30 years ago now with AA powder. So that is my main interest, plus I might like to start trying other loads now. I'm currently averaging just over 1300 fps with sierra 180gr HP in my Delta Elite with AA #7. I use AA#5 in 150 gr loads.

Sorry for the detour folks (not really a full derail) back to the 77 otm's.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's OK, I've decided to live with it. Life is too short to obsess over slight differences in your ammo. I've even gone as far as to designate one USGI magazine and 20 rounds of M855 as my "action" checking magazine. All 20 rounds have been cycled endlessly through different guns and they look like I've run them through the blender for a few minutes. I would use some of those Magpul "action-proving" rounds, but all those have seem to proven is that none of my weapons like to cycle zytel dummy cartidges.

10mm... My brother's favorite cartridge... I never got it... I think it's a superior round to .40 S&W, but I think both .40 and 10mm were solutions to problems that didn't exist. We already had/have .45 and 9mm... People can quote text from ballisitics bibles and brandish me a naysayer, but there's a reason why 10mm is a niche cartridge, mainly loved by handloaders. .40 S&W? The day I buy a weapon chambered in that caliber is the day I learn to embrace laser engraving on firearms. .45ACP +P 230gr JHP or bust!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Shao: How is this ammo treating you?

How many rounds have you fired? What rifle(s) and what kind of groups are you getting? How does the POI compare to other rounds that you may have?

I just picked up 200 of these from Midway. 120 of them have the Pierce brass you were asking about, the other 80 have SSA brass.

I also picked up 200 rounds of the mk262 this week (Black Hills 5.56 77gr OTM).

I am not sure when I'll be able to compare these (in a week or two maybe?) but I'll report back when I do.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    same here ive seen mixed headstamp(not in the same lot) of brass on my SSA ammo

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    did I miss something here? - he says the bullet has a cannelure. my SMKs don't have cannelures. never did...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    did I miss something here? - he says the bullet has a cannelure. my SMKs don't have cannelures. never did...
    77 gr SMKs can be purchased with a cannalure. I run both with and without.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    Yup.

And the mk262 load has a cannelure.

This SSA load seems to be trying to duplicate mk262

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Shao: How is this ammo treating you?

How many rounds have you fired? What rifle(s) and what kind of groups are you getting? How does the POI compare to other rounds that you may have?

I just picked up 200 of these from Midway. 120 of them have the Pierce brass you were asking about, the other 80 have SSA brass.

I also picked up 200 rounds of the mk262 this week (Black Hills 5.56 77gr OTM).

I am not sure when I'll be able to compare these (in a week or two maybe?) but I'll report back when I do.
    I've only fired about 80 rounds of it and I can't tell the difference between it and BH mk262. They're both sub-MOA in my 24" stationary AR, which is the only rifle I've fired them out of so far. Unless you're a much better shooter than me, I think you'll find the accuracy to be right there with the Black Hills stuff. For me it's a toss up as to which is better. The SSA stuff looks prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    This SSA load seems to be trying to duplicate mk262
    Seems that way... It's just SSA mk262, but without the neck and primer sealant of the Black Hills rounds.
    Last edited by Shao; 04-26-13 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I've only fired about 80 rounds of it and I can't tell the difference between it and BH mk262. They're both sub-MOA in my 24" stationary AR, which is the only rifle I've fired them out of so far. Unless you're a much better shooter than me, I think you'll find the accuracy to be right there with the Black Hills stuff. For me it's a toss up as to which is better. The SSA stuff looks prettier.

Seems that way... It's just SSA mk262, but without the neck and primer sealant of the Black Hills rounds.
    Which is what I would be looking for in a factory round I wanted to store in magazines for ready use...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast