Thread: SSA 5.56 77gr Sierra OTM - need questions answered.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

SSA 5.56 77gr Sierra OTM - need questions answered.

I managed to get my hands on some Silver State Armory mk262 clones on the cheap and would like to share some obversations as well as ask the experts here some questions.

First off... The first thing I noticed - on the outside of the box it states that they manufacture all of their brass in house, yet mine came with pierce brass and silver primers. The bullets are of the cannelured variety. The necks and primers appear nicely crimped yet I can detect no sealant (unless they're using some new clear sealant).

After opening my first box, I noticed that one of the primers appeared flattened or squished.... I've been shooting for almost 30 years and have never NOTICED any primers looking like this:

Squashed primer on the bottom, obviously... Is this round safe to fire? What happened here?

So... I decided on a whim to weigh each round on a digital scale... 18 of the 20 came out to 12.9g on the dot, while 2 of them weighed in at 12.8:

Is this normal? I can't say that I've ever weighed ammunition before... Maybe this could be a contributing factor to some of the fliers that I've seen reported using this ammo? Is Pierce brass OK?

Did I just buy a case of crap ammo? So many questions...
    Last edited by Shao; 12-24-12 at 13:29.