Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medium and heavy size game bullet ?

Feedback Score

Medium and heavy size game bullet ?

I am currently getting everything setup to start reloading for my 308. I am also looking at loading a bullet that would be great for both deer and elk sized game. I have been looking at the barnes tsx and the nosler accubond, both in 165g but I'm not sure if I might need a 180g for elk sized game or not. I am putting in for elk for the first time this year and if I get a tag, I would not want to waste it on the animal getting away. I hate losing an animal that I have shot. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Also the reason I am looking at just sticking with the 165g, and not loading 165s for deer and 180's for elk is that way I don't have to keep re-zeroing my rifle, unless this is what I will have to do.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    a 165 bonded from a .308 would do well on elk provided the distance was not excessive. what type of hunting do you anticipate?..
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    It is mostly going to be hills type hunting with very few longer range shots. Some hunting in flatter plains areas from time to time but honestly I do not feel comfortable enough in my skills to shoot maybe more than 300 yds on game animals right now. Hopefully with more practice in the future I can get there, but don't want to risk wounding an animal and losing them.

Feedback Score

165 Bonded or partition

The very best all around performance will be found with a bonded or partition bullet. The great majority of my hunting was done in that fashion.

Last edited by 308sako; 04-16-13 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Whats the twist rate on your rifle? I would consider lots of bullets Sierra SBT, AMAX, ACCUBOND, VLD, PARTITION, SARRICO, TTSX if your max range is 300 meters, bullet weight is not really a factor. Given the modern designs we have today the only considerations to bullet weight I would have is felt recoil at 300m.

Given that what I'm saying is choose a quality bullets and base the weight factor on your twist rate and how well the rifle performs with the bullets you have available, choose the one that shoots the best.

I personally have hunting rounds loaded with, AMAX, ACCUBLOND,VLD, and TTSX/
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    I believe it is a 1/12 twist rate, I shoot 165's in it now with decent grouping. I have yet to load any rounds for it to try and find out what my rifle likes. I was just looking at 165's because that is just what I have put through that rifle. I just like that accubonds and that tsx. I am not apposed to looking into something different that would get the same results with better accuracy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i have always use the 150/165 class bullets in my 30-06. i have not been hunting in a few years due to health.

like everyone has said if the shot is not to long the 308 will be fine. i have heard of people taking elk past 400 with 6.5 grendel. my personal favorite bullets are the partition and accubond in 308 diameter bullets.

in some of the northern countries there most used cartridges are 22cal even for large game. in Greenland the natives preferred cartridges for musk oxe is almost always a 22cal. my uncle has lived in Greenland off and on for years. when he told me that i could not believe it.

don't get to caught up in is 308 good enough, just focus on putting a qaulity bullet in the right spot. 308 will take most north american game with no problems.

308sako: great pictures you have some great mounts
    Last edited by jstone; 04-12-13 at 17:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post

308sako: great pictures you have some great mounts
    Thanks, but the wife made me do it...

Feedback Score
    T-TBBC, TBBC, T-TSX, TSX, Accubond, Partition, CLUB, Scirocco would all be good choices; all will take elk with a .308 150-180 gr bullet placed properly.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    i have heard of people taking elk past 400 with 6.5 grendel.
    I don't know that I'd recommend it for long range elk, but Grendel is deadly on deer & hogs even for plains type shots.

If you are staying under 250-300 yds the 123g SST is very good. Before it was available people were seeing good results with the AMAX's even though it was a bit light jacketed for larger game. For longer ranges most drop to the 115g for a bit more velocity.

All that said, not many bonded options for 6.5!

For .308 I stayed with heavily constructed 165g bullets for years as the lighter options were not as good.

But now I'm leaning 150g with some of the TTSX types with better BC's. Just liking shooting 7x57 & 7mm08 too much, and moving back in that direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast