Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best powder for AR15 w/16 inch barrel?

Feedback Score

Reloading Manual & Powder

Powder: Use powder that's most commonly available and can be used in multiple loads and Calibers. I use IMR 4895 for both 5.56mm (55grain) and 7.62mm (150 Grain) reloading.
    What happens when SHTF in NBC catastrophy? What happens to Electrical power, internet grid in the event of EMD in "N" to our Electronics such as watches, computers, PDA, phones?
    On the positive side, what has Mean time between failure of > 100+ years, doesn't need battery, always available when needed?
    Agree with jstone, manuals have more than reloading data, some are better than others. After 15+ years of Reloading, I learned about causes of Slam Fires in Gas operating rifles (AKA: AR15, M4, M16) reloading from Sierra 5th Edition. When I pass away, next generation (or someone still alive) will have references.

Feedback Score
    I use varget, but aa2230 and aa2520 are pretty much always available local so I am working up loads with those.
    Aa2230 is basically identical to ramshot xterminator according to the manufacturer and the data is interchangeable.

The data is available online from them as well for many types of bullets.

Feedback Score
    njsarn, that's funny, I used to use IMR 4895 in both loads as well. Kind of a pain to meter sometimes, but worked where it counted.

I've switched to TAC and Varget mostly, but I am not set on any one powder for everything; I run 14.5 and 18" barrels these days, so loads vary. Get a manual--disregard above about skipping it and just calling! It's a one-time investment (or once every few years, anyway) and well worth it.

Feedback Score
    I stick with H335 and TAC.

Feedback Score
    Loading manuals are great . They don't cost a whole lot and provide hours of education , IMO better than any gun magazine.

Feedback Score
    Use a manual. Lyman's is a cheap and fast reading.

Feedback Score
    Most have already stated this, but to clarify-

w/ a 16in barrel, the most important factor in deciding your powder is the bullet. Fast buring for the light ones, slower burning for the heavier.

Unless your a competition shooter, i suggest picking a single powder and making your loads work for you. Practical accuracy can easily be obtained with all .223 powder

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Each AR that you own will most prefer it's own particular load. There are usually some loads that will perform well in many different rifles, but each rifle will shoot best with one in particular. If you own 30 AR's you can spend some serious time and money trying to determine this. One interesting concept that I found while reading a firearms magazine the other day was a shop that offers a custom box of several different loads to assist you in finding the best load for your rifle:

http://www.tropgun.com/CustAmmo.aspx

Interesting concept and one that I will be trying for a recent bolt gun that I picked up. That said I have used many powders for .223 to include H335, H332, AA 2230 and lately CFE 223. All have performed well.

Feedback Score
    I now have the Lyman 49th ed and the Sierra manuals. Wealth of knowledge from both.

Feedback Score
    H335 or TAC meter well and have performed admirably.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast