Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

New to reloading, questions on setup, processing, etc.

I've been through several threads in this section and I have a pretty good idea about what reloading involves and what equipment is needed. I want to reload 5.56. Nothing special, something similar to M193 or M855. I may get into other calibers down the road but right now my focus is being able to produce fair quantities of 5.56.

I'm looking at the basic Dillon 550. I know I want a progressive press and Dillon has a good reputation. I also like that the 550 is upgradable. The first thing I would add is the automatic priming system.

I have a few questions about the efficiency of this setup though. Obviously, all the brass I've collected needs tumbled, resized, and decapped. Since the 550 resizes and decaps on the first stroke (it also primes on the first stroke with the upgrade) I would have to take the brass out after the first station to gage it, swage the primer pocket if necessary, and trim the case if necessary. It seems that maximum efficiency with a progressive system can only be achieved if using new brass. I have thought about getting a cheap single stage press for the sole purpose of resizing/decapping. I'm curious how others separate the brass prep from the actual loading. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Last edited by Eric D.; 11-26-12 at 16:55.
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Most people set up 2 tool heads one does processing the other loads. The 550 should come with the priming system. You can also trim on the press with the rt1200. You do not need to gauge every piece of brass. Once your die is est up and sizing to your liking no more need to gauge. You can check at intervals to make sure adjustments are holding, but no need to gauge every piece.

Google dillon 550 for processing, and for loading. You will see how multiple people set up both tool heads. Some will also do brass prep on a single stage and only load on the 550. You will want a single stage they are great for sizing brass.

Everybody i know has single and progressive. You do not have to learn on a single, but it is a good way to go. You get to learn everything without the complication of keeping a progressive running. Almost all progressives are going to need tuning to keep running smoothly. If you take apart for cleaning you Will need to setup again. 550 is not bad as some auto advance progressives.
    Last edited by jstone; 09-05-12 at 00:26.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If I could do it again I would get the 650 due to its auto indexing feature. The advice you got in the first post is spot on. I use and old rock chucker and the dilion trim die and trimmer to prep all the brass prior to running it thought the machine.

After you do this step once, you can get away with skipping the trimming for 2 to 3 loading's after that.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Rifle brass prep at a minumum is a two phase process.

I tumble off the resizing lube before any sort of trimming and crimp removal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OP, at bare minimum just get a RL550... the BL is gonna do nothing for you loading bulk .223 you would have to upgrade it all eventually anyways. Unless you intend to weigh and trickle every load you'll need the powder drop.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I hear you, I'm just still trying to figure out how much money I want to spend initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
    OP, at bare minimum just get a RL550... the BL is gonna do nothing for you loading bulk .223 you would have to upgrade it all eventually anyways. Unless you intend to weigh and trickle every load you'll need the powder drop.
    Markm, I came across a post of yours where you say you don't even bother to trim rifle brass because you can get away without it for the first 2-3 reloads?
    Its also my understanding that crimp removal is a one-time process, correct?
    What about cleaning the primer pocket?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    Markm, I came across a post of yours where you say you don't even bother to trim rifle brass because you can get away without it for the first 2-3 reloads?
    Its also my understanding that crimp removal is a one-time process, correct?
    What about cleaning the primer pocket?
    Cleaning the primer pocket is a waste of time. The no trim rule is NOT a hard/fast rule. If you shoot some ammos, you can get away with it for a few loads.... NOT with XM193 for example though.

Yes. Crimp removal is a one time deal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Cleaning the primer pocket is a waste of time.
    Well I just ordered a case of XM193 so I guess a trimmer will be in order. I'd love to eventually set up a separate tool head for the Dillon trimmer but what are some less expensive options in the mean time? Ideally I'd want something that allows quick changing from case to case, most of what I've looked at doesn't look like they'd be very fast.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd try that "worlds finest trimmer" or whatever it's called.

I did the possum hollow for a while. It's pretty nasty.

I'm loading so much now that the Giraud is just mandatory.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric D. View Post
    I hear you, I'm just still trying to figure out how much money I want to spend initially.
    With reloading time is money, spend more and you'll need less time at your bench.
    In regards to efficiency and budget my minimum investment for loading bulk .223 for an AR would be, not including Tumbler, media, lube calipers, case gauge, misc. etc. This of course based on my knowledge of how the evolution of my set-up came to be.

1) RL550 with two tool heads, one for sizing, the second for loading with a universal decap die at stage 1.

2) WFT "Worlds finest trimmer" in .223

3) Dillon Super Swage for primer pockets.

You can get away with cheaper but IMO through efficiency out the window.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast