Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best powder for AR15 w/16 inch barrel?

Feedback Score
    I have been using H335, mostly because it was available at the time of my purchase. I have also used BL-C(2) for .223, but was shooting an SU-16 at the time, so accuracy was hard to judge. I just purchased more BL-C(2), and will be working up some new loads with it for the DDM4.

Feedback Score
    I understand the value in owning some reloading manuals, but I have seen contradictory load data between manuals and powder mfg.

The one that sticks out greatest was RE: AA2230. Mfg max load for a Hdy 55gr SPSX is 23.8, and in another thread that I had read on the same powder and bullet, someone had posted their loading manual max load at 24.6(?) - I know it was considerably higher.

It still all comes down to the bottom line of doing ladder loads to determine accuracy, and knowing what pressure signs to watch for in doing your load workup.

Personally I use AA2230 - 23.6gr, Hornady FMJBT w/cannalure, CCI 400 and I am getting 1.4 MOA out of my 16" Centurion CHF midddy - and the targets show that there is shooter error (left/right drift). If I could lock the rifle in a vise I suspect I would get sub MOA accuracy.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have seen contradictory load data between manuals and powder mfg.

The one that sticks out greatest was RE: AA2230.
    It's funny you should mention AA2230. About 15 years ago I purchased three 1LB bottles. When I started working up a 223Rem load, I noticed high pressure signs at the starting load listed in one of my manuals. I got to looking at the bottles and found that the powder in each had been manufactured in a different country (Israel, Czech Republic, and Australia if I remember correctly). The powder even physically looked different from each bottle. Conclusion: There's no way that they're going to be able to manufacture a powder in three different countries and have the performance characteristics come out the same. I have no idea where AA2230 is made now, but I use H335 and Win748 for 223Rem now anyway.

Feedback Score
    Please remember that loading manuals are GUIDES as there are so many variables that come into play. In the subject at hand, most manuals list data for .223 NOT 5.56. The chamber differences will have a marked effect. If you are looking for 5.56 velocities, buy your ammo.
    IMO and worth what it cost!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Please remember that loading manuals are GUIDES as there are so many variables that come into play. In the subject at hand, most manuals list data for .223 NOT 5.56. The chamber differences will have a marked effect. If you are looking for 5.56 velocities, buy your ammo.
    IMO and worth what it cost!
    Ramshot has 5.56mm pressure loads listed on their site for TAC, maybe even others. There's no reason you can't work up a load to the higher pressure, provided you take the required precautions and work the load up gradually.

That being said...

If you have a true 5.56 chamber, I see little point at starting a load at what amounts to 40,000 PSI when the chamber is rated for 62,000 PSI.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I understand the value in owning some reloading manuals, but I have seen contradictory load data between manuals and powder mfg.

The one that sticks out greatest was RE: AA2230. Mfg max load for a Hdy 55gr SPSX is 23.8, and in another thread that I had read on the same powder and bullet, someone had posted their loading manual max load at 24.6(?) - I know it was considerably higher.

It still all comes down to the bottom line of doing ladder loads to determine accuracy, and knowing what pressure signs to watch for in doing your load workup.

Personally I use AA2230 - 23.6gr, Hornady FMJBT w/cannalure, CCI 400 and I am getting 1.4 MOA out of my 16" Centurion CHF midddy - and the targets show that there is shooter error (left/right drift). If I could lock the rifle in a vise I suspect I would get sub MOA accuracy.
    Glad to hear good feedback on aa2230. That's what I hope to be loading plinking loads with the Hdy fmj w/ cannelure. I have loaded some up to 24.5 on a max of 25.0, hope to shoot them soon so I can get some more stash ammo loaded up.
    I think it's what is used in the IMI m193 loads? The differences in charges seem to be from OAL differences. I loaded mine to 2.215 which is right in the middle of the cannelure, the new hornady manual shows 2.20 OAL, thus max charge would be lower.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It's funny you should mention AA2230. About 15 years ago I purchased three 1LB bottles. When I started working up a 223Rem load, I noticed high pressure signs at the starting load listed in one of my manuals. I got to looking at the bottles and found that the powder in each had been manufactured in a different country (Israel, Czech Republic, and Australia if I remember correctly). The powder even physically looked different from each bottle. Conclusion: There's no way that they're going to be able to manufacture a powder in three different countries and have the performance characteristics come out the same. I have no idea where AA2230 is made now, but I use H335 and Win748 for 223Rem now anyway.
    are you sure this wasn't 2230 DATA powder???
    this was pulled from Com bloc ammo (mostly 7.63x39) and is faster than AA2230 so I can see how you were getting pressure signs with 2230 specs...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    are you sure this wasn't 2230 DATA powder???
    No, the powder I bought was absolutely AA2230 and was packaged in the normal retail 1Lb canisters. The canisters were identical and the labeling was virtually idential save for a few small details (like made in ...).

Feedback Score
    If you are going to try to find components now (or in the near future), you might want to start with a manual to compile a list of powders that "might" work for you. Then take your list to the store to see if you can find one on the list (if so ... buy it). At this point beggars can't be choosers.
    Jeff Cooper: "DVC" Diligencia, Vis, and Celeritas (Accuracy, Power and Speed)

"Combat Accuracy - As accurate as it needs to be, as fast as you can, as many times as it takes"

Feedback Score
    Check for brass under your feet at the range every time you go, too.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast