Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best powder for AR15 w/16 inch barrel?

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I've been using the CFE223 and its been great. No complaints.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    No, the powder I bought was absolutely AA2230 and was packaged in the normal retail 1Lb canisters. The canisters were identical and the labeling was virtually idential save for a few small details (like made in ...).
    ok that's good. but understand that even different lots of the same powder can exhibit differences in burn rate. enough so that some manuals recommend dropping back to a starting charge when opening a new can...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    ok that's good. but understand that even different lots of the same powder can exhibit differences in burn rate. enough so that some manuals recommend dropping back to a starting charge when opening a new can...
    True, but my point is that there will almost certainly be more variance in three lots of the "same" powder made in three different factories (in three different countries) than there would be in three lots of a powder made in one factory.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    Each AR that you own will most prefer it's own particular load. There are usually some loads that will perform well in many different rifles, but each rifle will shoot best with one in particular. If you own 30 AR's you can spend some serious time and money trying to determine this. One interesting concept that I found while reading a firearms magazine the other day was a shop that offers a custom box of several different loads to assist you in finding the best load for your rifle:

http://www.tropgun.com/CustAmmo.aspx

Interesting concept and one that I will be trying for a recent bolt gun that I picked up. That said I have used many powders for .223 to include H335, H332, AA 2230 and lately CFE 223. All have performed well.
    that's H322, not 332...

never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    I'm a fan of h335, meters well from my Lee stuff and shoots fine for me. But I'm nearly out. I've got a fee pounds of h322 and blc(2). Seems like blc is better suited to 308? That's what it was developed for?

Any one have good experience, or any with blc(2)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    I'm a fan of h335, meters well from my Lee stuff and shoots fine for me. But I'm nearly out. I've got a fee pounds of h322 and blc(2). Seems like blc is better suited to 308? That's what it was developed for?

Any one have good experience, or any with blc(2)?
    I have tried BLC(2) in 223 and 308. Performance seems good but you need to use magnum primers to get consistent ignition. Being ball powder, it meters well too.
    Jeff Cooper: "DVC" Diligencia, Vis, and Celeritas (Accuracy, Power and Speed)

"Combat Accuracy - As accurate as it needs to be, as fast as you can, as many times as it takes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    I have tried BLC(2) in 223 and 308. Performance seems good but you need to use magnum primers to get consistent ignition. Being ball powder, it meters well too.
    Explain the mag primers. Not seeing any load data stating mag primers.

Feedback Score
    I like stuff that meters well in a volumetric charge dropper.

I used to use Winchester 748.

Now I use TAC.

At this time, I only use 55gr or 62gr pulled, resized bullets.
    I use the same charge and set up for both, only have a twist or two marked on the seater die height to swap between the two.
    I have about a thousand of each bullets on hand, man I wonder if I will ever see more for sale at the prices for 1000 they used to be.

I load for efficiency, desired trajectory/velocity, and acceptable accuracy. Others use other bullet weights or load for best accuracy. YMMV depending on your goals.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    How does everyone feel about varget?

I'm new to reloading rifle rounds, but it's one of the powders I see in almost every reloading manual I have for nearly every bullet weight in 223. I'm looking to load 55 grain fmjs for range use and 69 grain Sierra Match Kings for any precision shooting. No preference on primers (yet), but I'll probably start with either Winchester or Remington, depending on what I can eventually get my hands on first.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    How does everyone feel about varget?

I'm new to reloading rifle rounds, but it's one of the powders I see in almost every reloading manual I have for nearly every bullet weight in 223. I'm looking to load 55 grain fmjs for range use and 69 grain Sierra Match Kings for any precision shooting. No preference on primers (yet), but I'll probably start with either Winchester or Remington, depending on what I can eventually get my hands on first.
    Varget is one of the best for heavier bullets. Won't get you very good velocities with lighter bullets compared to other powders. Varget should do fine with the 69 gr bullets. It's also hard to meter, but my Lee perfect powder measure drops it good enough for me.
    Fwiw, I use accurate 2230 for lighter bullets, much better velocities.

If you use Remington primers, make sure it's the 7 1/2, not the 6 1/2.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast