Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Best powder for AR15 w/16 inch barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    Explain the mag primers. Not seeing any load data stating mag primers.
    I believe Lyman among others (can't remember which at the moment) have stated the need to use magnum primers when using some ball powders. I have seen some inconsistent ignition (click ... Bang) when using BLC(2) powder in both .223 and .308. Changing to magnum primers and reworking the load takes care of the problem.
    Jeff Cooper: "DVC" Diligencia, Vis, and Celeritas (Accuracy, Power and Speed)

"Combat Accuracy - As accurate as it needs to be, as fast as you can, as many times as it takes"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    How does everyone feel about varget?

I'm new to reloading rifle rounds, but it's one of the powders I see in almost every reloading manual I have for nearly every bullet weight in 223. I'm looking to load 55 grain fmjs for range use and 69 grain Sierra Match Kings for any precision shooting. No preference on primers (yet), but I'll probably start with either Winchester or Remington, depending on what I can eventually get my hands on first.
    Varget is my 'go to' powder for rifle. I use it in .223, .308 & 30-06. For me it has been VERY consistent in velocity over a large temperature range. The only issue is that since it's a stick powder, it doesn't meter great. I throw light and trickle up. I use CCI primers (though not married to them).
    Jeff Cooper: "DVC" Diligencia, Vis, and Celeritas (Accuracy, Power and Speed)

"Combat Accuracy - As accurate as it needs to be, as fast as you can, as many times as it takes"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robfromsc View Post
    Explain the mag primers. Not seeing any load data stating mag primers.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...motaip_200909/

Feedback Score
    I use CCI Military Rifle Primers for all of my semiauto reloading.
    http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...ers.aspx?id=30
    They perform the same as magnum primers, but can in theory help prevent slam fires (which should be a problem to begin with).

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)

Best powder for AR15 w/16 inch barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    Varget is my 'go to' powder for rifle. I use it in .223, .308 & 30-06. For me it has been VERY consistent in velocity over a large temperature range. The only issue is that since it's a stick powder, it doesn't meter great. I throw light and trickle up. I use CCI primers (though not married to them).
    I've had good success running Varget through my Hornady measure (+/- 0.2gr). I used the measure slightly under and trickle method as well though. I'm getting very consistent results with 70gr TSXs. Velocity varies by less than 10fps.

ETA: I use CCI #41 primers.
    Last edited by MrSmitty; 01-21-13 at 11:39.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I like H-335 or Accurate 2230.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    I used H335 for .223 in the past and it was pretty good powder for my 55g-62g CMP loads. RL-15 grouped better with 68g-80g bullets. Varget groups well with 55g-80g bullets.

I currently use Varget for loading .223, .308, 7.62x54R and 8MM cartridges. It is a good all round powder. It is less sensitive to temperature changes than a lot of other powders I have used and it is my go to powder for match loads.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 01-21-13 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RearwardAssist View Post
    There are so many different powders and you will get so many different answers. It really is a personal preference. I prefer TAC, lots of people use varget, h335, h322 but your asking a very vague question.
    I've been pleased with performance and accuracy of Alliant "Reloader 15" which as the name applies, runs very well for my reloading needs in the black rifles.

Feedback Score

More info...

O.K. guys lot's of great info... thanks! I probably should have added this info-it's a W.O.A. 16-inch mid-length barrel w/a 1-7 twist. I'm planning on starting w/hornady 68 grain BTHP (B.C. is higher than Sierra's 69 grainer) then maybe trying the 75 grain A-max. I currently use 26 grains of benchmark w/50 grain Vmax in my .223 bolt gun-can't imagine that bullet shooting well out of a 1-7 twist, 16 ar barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Would I be crazy to say that reloading manuals are becoming obsolete? You can call the powder company directly and they can tell you what charge weights floor and ceiling to throw based of your data to get you close until you can chrono.
    If you have a Cabelas nearby, they have these reference guides which are photocopies of data tables of all the major reloading guides. $10 per caliber.

Pretty handy.

Even with the stuff that is posted on powder manufacturer websites ... you don't get the full story on max loads.

Sometimes, you can get some real gems e-mailing or calling the ballisticians on staff.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast