Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Best powder for AR15 w/16 inch barrel?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Powder of choice

I have found XBR 8208 and cci 400 srp's to perform really well. The powder meters well and has excellent temperature stability.

As stated by other members, loading manuals are an absolute necessity. I usually compare data from several sources as the manuals don't always include all the components you may use.

I may also suggest a book called "The ABC's of reloading". I read it from cover to cover before I started to reload my first round.
    IMHO,YMMV.
    Honesty, Honor, and Integrity Are Everything!

Feedback Score
    These links are a valuable source of information. Choose your bullet weight and you will get recommended charge weights.

http://hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

I have had good luck with 24.5g Varget and a 68g match bullet. I shot it out of a 20" Wilson 1:8 twist barrel, so you may have to adjust your charge weight up or down a few tenths of a grain to get optimal accuracy.

I purchased a pair of Lyman Reloading Manuals years ago, the books are well worn and I still refer to them now and then. I would recommend picking up a good reloading manual that discusses pressure, crimps, C.O.L. etc. You won't regret it.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 01-27-13 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gashooter View Post
    I have found XBR 8208 and cci 400 srp's to perform really well. The powder meters well and has excellent temperature stability.

As stated by other members, loading manuals are an absolute necessity. I usually compare data from several sources as the manuals don't always include all the components you may use.

I may also suggest a book called "The ABC's of reloading". I read it from cover to cover before I started to reload my first round.
    IMHO,YMMV.
    I was surprised that it took 3 pages for anyone to mention IMR 8208(XBR). It has the temperature stability of Varget but a little faster burning which lends itself well to lighter bullets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump_rrr View Post
    I was surprised that it took 3 pages for anyone to mention IMR 8208(XBR). It has the temperature stability of Varget but a little faster burning which lends itself well to lighter bullets.
    Strange as it is... BOTH H322 and 8208 work LIGHTS OUT with 77 gr SMKs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Strange as it is... BOTH H322 and 8208 work LIGHTS OUT with 77 gr SMKs.
    Kind of makes me wish I tried my H322 when I loaded some 69s the other day. Would you prefer H322 or Varget behind SMKs? Out of a short barrel?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmitty View Post
    Would you prefer H322 or Varget behind SMKs? Out of a short barrel?
    Varget NEVER makes sense for me in .223. There's at least a half dozen other options that are just as good, but meter better.

We run H322 with SMKs in shorties... and in theory... a faster powder would mean a quicker pressure spike that'd get more bang for the buck in a shorty...
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Varget NEVER makes sense for me in .223. There's at least a half dozen other options that are just as good, but meter better.

We run H322 with SMKs in shorties... and in theory... a faster powder would mean a quicker pressure spike that'd get more bang for the buck in a shorty...
    I didn't have much trouble metering the Varget but a faster powder did sound better in theory out of a short barrel. Next batch I do I'll try the H322 or maybe some 8208 if I see it locally again.

Feedback Score
    I go the easy route. RL-7 for anything up to 62gr. RL-15 from there up to 75gr. Hornady HPBT. Or maybe it's the other way around.
    Last edited by eperk; 02-13-13 at 13:00.

Feedback Score

That's maybe what I was thinking, maybe better function with AR gas system? That's why I need to get a chrony. I think AA2230 might get higher velocities than AA2520 with heavies according to some data.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It really depends on what you're loading. For standard 55gr I find Varget works very well. For other loads something else might work better.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast