Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 223 Rem 75gr BTHP TAP Gel Test Results

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the video! I've been eyeballing this ammo as well and your video pretty much covers all I wanted to know. Subscribed.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    From a terminal effects standpoint for HD/SD, I like the ~60gr bonded projectiles better than the 75-77 grain match.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38029

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...gr-tap-barrier

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88215
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Below 2400 fps is pretty bad especially since it looks pretty warm where you're at. Better off buying the Black Hills load using the Hornady 75gr as this load doesnt seem to be using the T2 version of 75gr bullet.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-06-13 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Below 2400 fps is pretty bad especially since it looks pretty warm where you're at. Better off buying the Black Hills load using the Hornady 75gr as this load doesnt seem to be using the T2 version of 75gr bullet.
    The test was shot at 15 ft, 60 degrees, and 300 ft of elevation
    Indeed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Nice test.

The 4" neck length or initial penetration may not be ideal.

Hornady's own testing shows a 1" neck in bare gel and a wider cavity.

They have all the other cases except 4LD.

There may be a gel calibration issue, as I don't expect the 4LD to affect a rifle round significantly.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...75-gr-bthp-tap

The clear gel appears to be significantly more elastic than ordnance gelatin. I don't think it shows TSC very well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
    The clear gel appears to be significantly more elastic than ordnance gelatin. I don't think it shows TSC very well.
    I agree. The TSC is the biggest 'con' for the clear gel that I've seen so far.

Feedback Score
    Not a big deal for testing pistol ammo and it seems that the clear gel shows comparable penetration and expansion figures there. As long as we know that TSC isn't going to be accurately portrayed in rifle tests, it can still yield good penetration and expansion/fragmentation numbers.

How did you determine the point at which the jacket separated or was that just where the first jacket fragments came to a rest?

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that Clear Ballistics blocks are not an "FBI spec gel block".

4LD is a simple engineering test to assess handgun projectile resistance to plugging with clothing material--this is not an issue with rifle projectiles; as such 4LD is NOT a necessary protocol when testing rifle loads.

So far, NONE of the polymer gel blocks accurately represent TSC in static testing.

A minimum of 5 rounds are needed to get a sense of how a projectile is going to perform.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

4LD is a simple engineering test to assess handgun projectile resistance to plugging with clothing material--this is not an issue with rifle projectiles; as such 4LD is NOT a necessary protocol when testing rifle loads.

So far, NONE of the polymer gel blocks accurately represent TSC in static testing.

A minimum of 5 rounds are needed to get a sense of how a projectile is going to perform.
    Party pooper!
    That's the life of an outlaw...tough, ain't it.--Sam Elliot as Conagher

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post

I appreciate you taking the time to contribute here, sir. I always pick up a little knowledge when you do.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast