Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack hunters?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm surprised that hunt_ak hasn't chimed in. He and his family have spent a lifetime under pack straps in Alaska. They flat get it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXQmxi2GN-U

His sister in-law here.. Her and her husband know more about the latest gear than anyone I've ever met.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad0iTnV8qcA

I've done my share of backpack hunting also, but kids have definitely gotten in the way of that for the last dozen years. I've been losing weight for the last three months and I really hope to get back out there again this year. The things I won't skimp on are a good tent, good backpack, good rain gear and a good sleeping bag. In Alaska this can be the difference of life and death.

For a tent I am really partial to my MSR Hubba Bubba, I use a big Agnes bag and pad, Barney's Alaska Hunter pack, and Helly Hanson Impertech rain gear. Gear is really a Ford vs. Chevy argument and it's really important you develop what really works for you and your intended hunting area.

My pack usually runs at about 60#. I probably pack too much stuff, but it works for me. I pack animals and my gear out in relays depending on the game. For a moose, you will spend days packing it out if it's too far.

Being in shape is important, but the most important thing is your mental attitude. You can overcome being overweight by simply slowing down and keeping a good mental attitude. I've seen plenty of "in shape" guys quit because they don't like being wet and cold. If you are in shape AND can endure discomfort, that's the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Man would I ever love to do a hunt like this!

J-Dub, are you set on the hammock idea?

If not, I've been eyeing the Kirafu Para Tarp (http://store.kifaru.net/tarps-c19.aspx) and can see it fitting well in this role since it packs so small and lightweight.

Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    No Im not set on anything really. I have a feeling Im going to be going through a lot of gear before I find something that works.

I like the idea of the hammock, but there are a ton of draw backs. Gear storage, what happens if I camp above the tree line?, in down pours I would be stuck in a hammock, ect.

I'll take a look at the Kifaru para tarp. Some people swear by floorless tipis, or bivys.

I have a feeling I'll be doing a ton of gear sorting out on scouting trips in July and august.

Again if anyone wants to share their setups, Im all ears.

So far I have my pack: USMC ILBE (I might add an assault pack for a day pack), pocket rocket stove, Bow, Boots,

I need a good sleeping bag, shelter, binos, and some clothes (first lite wool for a base layer, and whatever else I can find for cheap) and I think that's about it..
    Last edited by J-Dub; 04-29-13 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Im totally going to pick up that Kifaru para tarp...less than two pounds...yes please!

Feedback Score
    I've done and do quite a few of these, although I don't make public because of the clients. We nav in 10-20 k

Notes: tape on barrel is mandatory
    Medical gloves for skinning mando
    Quality headlamp- Petzl mando
    Quality saw, knife, and small bolt cutters make field dressing way easier.
    GPS mando
    You need to be a rock star with map/compass, and especially terrain nav.
    Sunglasses mando
    Hat mando
    Solar monkey charger mando
    iPhone mando
    Spot locator depending on locale
    A mil type plan shared with someone on the outside
    All gear treated with permitherin at least a week out.
    Avon skin so soft for bugs
    Game sling
    30 ft of 550
    Lighter in small water proof bag (doubles as water container) with dyer lint and iodine tabs or filter straw- unless Tracker Dan is with you

Here's my most recent gear list;
    Osprey kestrel 68 , ill be switching to a Arcteryx khyber soon though.
    Outdoor research advanced bivy (you'll not find a better light weight shelter, I've been in one in some serious conditions- never failed)
    Thermarest 3/4 z pad. Air mattresses are banned because of noise and possible failure
    Msr pocket rocket
    Gsi minimalist
    (1) two person mountain house meal per day
    Steel water bottle ( they don't weigh much more than nalgene and you can boil)
    Marmot Nano 55 bag ( I use this in combo with my jacket to create the proper temp. Packs to softball size
    Arcteryx atom SV ( real cold) or Mountain Hardwear Ghost whisperer ( down to 35ish) I never put this on unless stopped for sleeping/eating/ or long time dressing- stays in top of pack.
    Arcteryx wraith shell ( never touched because of noise unless its really pissing)
    Arcteryx wraith pants
    Mechanic gloves or MH torsion
    Black diamond mitts for real cold
    Socom Med kit ( its about sandwich bag size) plus Sam splint
    Msr gravity filter
    Msr water bag ( only if we can't find or don't know about any water source near us) - heaviest thing in bag bar none.
    Patagonia lined beanie
    Patagonia simple guide pants or arcteryx sphinx pants
    Icebreaker merino boxers
    Icebreaker merino l/s (260 wt)
    Under armour synthetic t shirt
    (2) smart wool socks
    Salmon quest boot
    Outdoor research gaiters
    .308 or 300 win mag with Barnes TSX and a damn good scope that's not overpowered.
    Quality binos
    Game bags or large ziplock freezer bags

I believe my pack was 25- 30lbs or so last outing without the water bag (light weight and minimalistic costs money though) I go way lighter depending on season and altitude. Plenty of room for meat on most game except elk and bigger, but that's gonna be multiple trips out unless you've hot a partner anyway.

Other notes-
    Good cardio and physical strength makes this a really pleasurable experience. Running sub nine minute miles for an hour is a decent base, as well as 10 + pull ups.

The Quest is still the best boot I've ever found and with gaiters it's as perfect as is possible. I'd shy away from gore socks but that's just me.

In a month ill be on the Canadian border and ill try to remember to take some pics and post to my blog.

I also do a poacher's skin which saves a ton of time.

Also, I'm probably forgetting something.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Im totally going to pick up that Kifaru para tarp...less than two pounds...yes please!
    J-Dub,

Thanks to this subject, you've caused me to waste alot of hours at work looking up lightweight shelter systems along the line of the Kirafu Tarp . Here's a list of companies that I've looked into that may have something better suited (design/cost wise) than the Kirafu...

Integral Designs
    Go-Light
    Six Moon Designs
    Bear Paw Wilderness Designs
    Tarp Tent
    Oware
    Equinox

And a couple bigger manufacturers that usually run a little pricier due to brand name BS...
    Big Agnes
    MSR
    Outdoor Research
    ect. ect. (look on REI for the big guys in the industry)

For me, I'm looking for a balance between cost and functionality. Doesn't have to be the lightest, and I don't usually go for the cheapest, but it has to make sense for what I want out of it...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Kyle,

Thanks for the gear list, been waiting for this ever since you mentioned it in another thread a while back

I know the OR Adv. Bivy is fully waterproof, but do you carry, or see a need to carry, a small tarp for some "living space" in the case you get bogged down in rain and need to cook, change clothes, dry off, ect?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-01-13 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Do you guys see problems with the super light tarps & gear with sparks melting holes when the wind suddenly blows the wrong way?

I guess all the light synthetic fabrics are prone to it, but the super light stuff seems to be worse

Trying to warm up in hunt camps, dealing with wet wood, etc is when it seems to happen to me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    J-Dub,

Thanks to this subject, you've caused me to waste alot of hours at work looking up lightweight shelter systems along the line of the Kirafu Tarp . Here's a list of companies that I've looked into that may have something better suited (design/cost wise) than the Kirafu...

Integral Designs
    Go-Light
    Six Moon Designs
    Bear Paw Wilderness Designs
    Tarp Tent
    Oware
    Equinox

And a couple bigger manufacturers that usually run a little pricier due to brand name BS...
    Big Agnes
    MSR
    Outdoor Research
    ect. ect. (look on REI for the big guys in the industry)

For me, I'm looking for a balance between cost and functionality. Doesn't have to be the lightest, and I don't usually go for the cheapest, but it has to make sense for what I want out of it...
    Funny thing is, I've done the same thing lol . The Sierra Designs Origami 3 looks like the ticket, considering price and features..

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    Funny thing is, I've done the same thing lol . The Sierra Designs Origami 3 looks like the ticket, considering price and features..
    Haha. I actually hadn't seen that one, and would definitely lean that way if I was looking for a (comfortable) two person setup, but I'm thinking of something just big enough to be comfortable for me and all gear. I have a two person tent for me and the wife so that she can stay away from the bugs lol.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Go-Lite Shangri-La 2 over the Kirafu since its all closed in with a front door. There's still a couple others that have my attention though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast