Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best optic set up for coyote hunting?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Best optic set up for coyote hunting?

I’m going coyote hunting on a fairly large farm in Central Illinois this Spring and I’m looking for advice on optics for my AR. I’m fairly proficient with my current set up, a 2 MOA H1 with an Aimpoint x3 in a LaRue flip mount. Will I be okay with this set up or would I be better served with more magnification? If I went with more of a traditional hunting scope, would I benefit from an illuminated reticle for low light situations? This will be my first time hunting so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I guess it depends on your terrain, and what time of day you plan on going. I hunt in the wide open sandhills in the midwest some, and some in more wooded areas. My sandhill rifle has a 6.5-20 Cabelas Alaskan guide scope, and for closer shooting I have a Leupold VX-1 shotgun scope with turkey plex reticle. I can get by in the sandhills with the smaller scope, but not in the trees with the bigger scope. I think a 2-7 or 2-8 would be a good setup for all around use. As for illumated reticle, I can't comment too much. No issues here early morning or late evening with my scopes. And at night I have a spotlight and no troubles seeing the reticles.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The gun as it is should be just fine for your use. Field of view is more important in most cases than magnification when coyote hunting. They don't stand still very often. How you set up to call is more important than your gun, optic or calls you use.
    Good luck!

Feedback Score
    I hunt dogs in a mix of very open and steep wooded terrain, my .204 ar wears a leupold 4.5x14 LR and my 16" 5.56 has a leupold 1.25x4 VXR. The lower mag scope works good in both open and thick country inside of a couple hundred yards where 90% of my coyotes are killed. The .204 is set up for open country and with 4.5 as the lowest magnifaction some times it hard to get onto dogs that pop up close and they don't stop moving for long. Honestly your aim point set up will be a blast for coyotes and I would use what you have, you will have fun I promis. After a few try's with the aim point you will have a good idea of what you want If you do decide to change. Good luck and have fun.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc1371 View Post
    I hunt dogs in a mix of very open and steep wooded terrain, my .204 ar wears a leupold 4.5x14 LR and my 16" 5.56 has a leupold 1.25x4 VXR. The lower mag scope works good in both open and thick country inside of a couple hundred yards where 90% of my coyotes are killed. The .204 is set up for open country and with 4.5 as the lowest magnifaction some times it hard to get onto dogs that pop up close and they don't stop moving for long. Honestly your aim point set up will be a blast for coyotes and I would use what you have, you will have fun I promis. After a few try's with the aim point you will have a good idea of what you want If you do decide to change. Good luck and have fun.
    My open range rifle is a .204 as well. Awesome round!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use a vortex SPARC 2moa dot.

The longest shot that we have available to us is 350 yards, but most shots are from 90-150 yards. The 2moa is fine for that. When the yotes get past 175 I'll let the guy with the remmy 700 in 308 bark first. I can't remember his exact optic but I believe it's a 3- something. He also carries a 12 gauge with bead sights for the closer dogs.

This 3 gun setup works for us darn near every time we have a good shot. We've taken 9 dogs this year and had 6 more show up but never get close enough or slow down enough to venture a shot.

Good luck killing those song dogs!
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Thanks for all of the great input. I am looking forward to it. Any recommendations for a good 5.56mm/.223 round to use?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great input. I am looking forward to it. Any recommendations for a good 5.56mm/.223 round to use?
    Stick with a soft point bullet (55-60grs) or something loaded with a Sierra 55gr hollowpoint, and you should be fine. Personally, I am not a fan of light, plastic tipped bullets.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    Stick with a soft point bullet (55-60grs) or something loaded with a Sierra 55gr hollowpoint, and you should be fine. Personally, I am not a fan of light, plastic tipped bullets.
    Would 75gr or 77 gr OTM be overkill?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JW5219 View Post
    Why not? I have lots of success with 55gr. VMax etc. I've had 60gr. soft points blow huge holes in Coyotes, and destroy fox.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast