Thread: Unshot Pistols

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Unshot Pistols

I finally got around to shooting a few pistols I had acquired and not yet shot Wednesday. Weather was nice, snow was melting and I had some time. Set up a target at 10 paces approx.
    Springfield Armory XDS from LGS
    Glock 17 fde bought from Grant
    SW 5906 acquired in private deal
    Glock 20 from LGS
    Also drug out my keltec pf9 which I have shot before.

Ran about 70 through the XDS, breaking it in as a possible carry piece. My current is a springfield xd sub compact 9mm. Wanting to try something a little smaller. All the cartridges I shot were cop reloads with lead non jacketed bullets. I really like this gun, the sights are excellent. Had no failures. Once I learned the gun it was quite accurate. Trigger and recoil very acceptable. Brass in a nice neat pile behind me and to the right.

Glock 17, I shot 2 magazines through. I really like this pistol. It was the first time I'd ever shot a glock. Blazer Brass 115 gr. Good accuracy, felt good in my hand, brass also in a nice neat pile behind and to the right.

SW 5906, 3 magazines through. Blazer 115gr. This pistol is such a pleasure to shoot I almost couldn't put it down to get to my other ones. Dead on nuts accurate, fantastic double and single action trigger, just a wonderful pistol. A tad heavy so naturally no noticeable recoil at all. Brass in a nice pile just like the others before. I wish I had bought one 20 years ago.

Glock 20, 2 magazines through. Prvi 180 gr jhp. Same results as glock 17 and not as much recoil as I expected. After shooting the paper I tried a few at my 100 yd. steel target unsupported. No hits. Obviously I'm not LAV. Maybe I'll hit it later after some practice with the pistol. I've hit it with the fn five seven pistol I used to have.

Now to the keltec pf9. I thought I'd get it out for kicks as I hadn't shot it in quite some time. Now I remember why. It punished me. The trigger punishes my finger, the recoil punishes the web of my hand. It's like someone inserted razor blades into the plastic. Accuracy acceptable until I started flinching. Brass all over the damn place, some of it 20 ft. away. It actually cracked my thumbnail during the last shot (that's why it was the last shot). I shot the pistol, felt a little pain, and saw that my left thumb was sticking straight up. Apparently my thumbnail got caught on the notch in the slide for the slide stop. I've never had anything like this happen before.
    I can't keep a pistol I can't practice with so it's now at my brother's since a friend of his thinks he wants one and is going to look at it and possibly buy it from me. If he doesn't buy it I'll sell it to someone else, it's outta here.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Also my son came out and brought the xdm .40 I traded to him and shot some. He hadn't shot in years and was fighting low left and we worked through that. Also taught him to shoot with both eyes open.

I shot it a few times when he was having accuracy problems at first to check it out. I'd forgot what a pleasure it was to shoot, but it was the only .40 I had and I got away from .40.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how you do it. When I buy a new gun, I have to go try it out immediately, if possible. In any event, the only one of the ones you mentioned that I have is the G17. Great pistol. Mine has over 6,000 rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a good day OP. Whenever I see those trade in S&W semi autos in CDNN's catalog I always think to myself that I should buy one.

Feedback Score
    How is the trigger reset in you XD compared to either Glock?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    How is the trigger reset in you XD compared to either Glock?
    I'd have to compare them side by side with my mind set on recording the results, right now I don't know. I know I was happy with both.

Today I shot only my xdsc 9mm and my xds 45. If my xdsc had the sights that are on the xds it would no doubt be my favorite pistol.

When I get the glock out again I'll try to remember to compare and post back.